MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as much as i want to get porterfields, man, they arent cheap (~$300)

are there less expensive alternatives?

Its a MK2 NA, Ill be replacing the old brake fluid with the good stuff, and I'll be in the newbie group

·
Registered
176 Posts
Get the good stuff. Brake fluid and pads are the only thing you dont wana take the cheap route on. They will also last longer then the cheaper pads. Put them on before the event and take them off after the event. They should last you all year.

·
Next Race 4/12/14
1,563 Posts
kbrew8991 said:
as much as i want to get porterfields, man, they arent cheap (~$300)

are there less expensive alternatives?

Its a MK2 NA, Ill be replacing the old brake fluid with the good stuff, and I'll be in the newbie group
Did you get that price directly from Porterfield? If not, call them direct 949-548-4470. Make sure they are quoting you for the N/A and not the Turbo (I hear the Turbo pads are a good bit more $). That sounded way too high so I went back through my old threads cause I knew I had mentioned what I paid for my Porterfield R4-S pads. (93 N/A).

"I recently put the R4-S all around. A friend told me to mention the spiderchat web site and save 15%. So I mentioned it and they gave me 20% off. (maybe I just got lucky). Anyway, front and rear and 2 cans of performance fluid (only took a little less than one) was about $125.00."

·
Next Race 4/12/14
1,563 Posts
This thread reminded me that I needed to get some new pads (R4-S). So I just ordered a set. Once again I mentioned spiderchat and got a 20% discount.
$63.00 front, $63.00 rear for a 93 N/A. (shipped)

Now you can buy 2 racing tires with the money you just saved.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Porterfields should be a lot less then $300. I went with Carbotech Panter Plus which are way more than Porterfields. If you want a cheaper pad than the Porterfeilds, get the Axxis Ultamites.

Also take a look at Upgrading your brakes.

-Scott

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
last time thier site worked (which was forever and a half ago) the NA pads were around $135 for the front and $160 for the rears

part #s AP242 and AP309

ill call directly and see what they say.... that site was Spidertalk.com correct?

·
Next Race 4/12/14
1,563 Posts
kbrew8991 said:
last time thier site worked (which was forever and a half ago) the NA pads were around $135 for the front and $160 for the rears

part #s AP242 and AP309

ill call directly and see what they say.... that site was Spidertalk.com correct?
Your part numbers agree with what I have, but I never even used them when ordering. I just said I wanted R4-S pads for a 93 N/A Toyota MR2. Call the number I posted above and when they give you the price ask if "they still give the discount for spiderchat?".
The price I got was $63.00 front, $63.00 rear.

By the way.. this is the second time I've ordered direct from Porterfield. I bought a set last summer and they were at my house in 3 days. They fit perfectly.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good to hear, thanks. If they're that cheap by calling then screw Axxis pads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts