MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
RHD 1992 JDM Toyota MKII MR2 GT Turbo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

After much research and deliberation on a first vehicle to own, I'm proud and happy to say I went with and purchased a 1992 JDM Toyota MKII GT MR2 Turbo RHD
The car is phenomenal, I'm happy to be joining this community.
This is also my first venture into the car-mechanic world as I've never really gotten my elbows greased in any other vehicle besides the standard and routine oil changing, brake (pads/drums) replacements.
I'm excited to dive into this project with my little big MR2.

That being said, first two pressing things I'm already needing to change are the alternator and clutch, but my repair list goes something like this:
1. Battery is being sucked dry real quick, even after re-charge, dead alternator is the cause.​
2. Within 2 days I already slipped the clutch like an idiot first time car owner of a sports car with turbo in it (I'm 26 but I still get pretty excited ok? Cut me some slack) And from the info from the previous owner, everything but the gauges, exhaust, and shifter, are OEM, so yeah, maybe I went a little nuts and beat the crap outta my clutch a bit too quickly. (I blame my lack of restraint and ignorance when it comes to knowledge about manuals and cars in general honestly.) Should I upgrade clutch or just OE Replacement?​
3. I've got some leak(s), which I'm guessing might be coming from a worn out RMS, so I might as well replace it since I'll have the tranny apart.​
4. E-brake line is snapped at the handle, was parking in gear.​
5. No power steering. Honestly completely lost as to how to go about diagnosing this one.​
6. No AC, previous owner said it could potentially just be a faulty AC Pressure Switch.​
7. Leaky T-Tops, new liner/seals needed.​
8. No radio hooked up, I've determined hot and ground, but need a wiring diagram for the paired speaker wires, unfortunately haven't found any leads.​
Mostly I'm prioritizing getting her back up and running but I'm hoping to gain a lot of experience and knowledge from the tasks I want to overcome in this car, and that means relying a bit on people with more experience, so thank y'all in advance for providing this fountain of knowledge to us younger inexperience but eager folks.

If y'all don't mind I'd like to know where y'all source the parts, so I can do more research and price comparisons in my area! I'm in the DFW metroplex in Texas!
Do you guys/gals have any recommend brands or parts for the aforementioned projects I'm going to undertake? Any Do's and Don'ts? Any recommendations/suggestions for things to look for or plan ahead for in the future as I'm making these repairs?

Cheers to a lengthy and healthy life of an MR2

Thanks,
A Happy First-Time MR2 Owner,
Fuzions

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. Im happy to help answer any questions as we have the exact same car where it counts. Good luck with yours.

As far as where to start, post pics of your interior, ecu (located behind trunk liner on the passenger side) and the engine bay for starters. I thank the Good Lord every day that I was blessed to find an unmolested imported MR2. First thing I'd do is tackle that alternator issue. Buy new alternator and a/c belt. Let us know if you get belt squeaking.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Welcome to the MR2 world. Probably not the best car to learn how to be a Mechanic but you will get there with a little patience and scrapped knuckles. Hopefully you have a decent tool kit, floor jack and stands along with place to work on it.

First question I’d like to ask is exactly how bad clutch is? If it indeed needs urgent replacement it’s best to drop whole engine & transaxle. This will allow trans to be separated to replace clutch and rear engine seal. Alternator can be done easily as well. Do you know when the cam belt was last replaced as would be an ideal time to tackle. Might be difficult jobs for a first timer.

Jimb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the MR2 world. Probably not the best car to learn how to be a Mechanic but you will get there with a little patience and scrapped knuckles. Hopefully you have a decent tool kit, floor jack and stands along with place to work on it.

First question I’d like to ask is exactly how bad clutch is? If it indeed needs urgent replacement it’s best to drop whole engine & transaxle. This will allow trans to be separated to replace clutch and rear engine seal. Alternator can be done easily as well. Do you know when the cam belt was last replaced as would be an ideal time to tackle. Might be difficult jobs for a first timer.

Jimb
Thanks Jimb!
I'm always ready for a challenge no matter how high the obstacle may be.

After many painstaking hours of research on parts, respective catalog numbers, and replacement videos/forums, I've gathered most of the necessary tools to get the job done. Furthermore, while waiting for replacement parts to arrive, I've basically been throwing ideas back and forth with my old man and brother (whom are way more mechanically inclined and experienced), and we also concluded that we'll need to pull the entire block out. Good thing a four day weekend is coming!
We've deduced that some of the engine bay oil stains are coming from the head as well, so I'll also be doing a head-gasket replacement, head re-surfacing (incase there's any distortion), along with the timing belt, alternator, clutch, and rear main seal.

I'm aiming for roughly a 2 to 3 week turnaround (working on the car only the weekends and any daylight I might have left after work) to get this bad boy back out on the streets.
We're staying positive and motivated!

Fuzions

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're going to do all of that I'd include upgrading to a Camry oil pump, gaskets etc. Replacing the Hose from Hell and the Hose from Hell on Earth. Ordering a full greddy replica side mount intercooler kit (around $500 us). Search this site and some reputable US sites are MR2 Heaven TCS Motorsports Racer X and PrimeMR2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and welcome to the forums. Im happy to help answer any questions as we have the exact same car where it counts. Good luck with yours.

As far as where to start, post pics of your interior, ecu (located behind trunk liner on the passenger side) and the engine bay for starters. I thank the Good Lord every day that I was blessed to find an unmolested imported MR2. First thing I'd do is tackle that alternator issue. Buy new alternator and a/c belt. Let us know if you get belt squeaking.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay in response, the project had to be put on the back burner (as most projects often do), life happens.
However, it's back on and I'm going at it full force.

Took me about 9 hours to drop the engine, no prior experience, no garage, just a guy with hopes and dreams, an unbreakable tenacity to see things through to the end.

I've basically take care of most of the work that needed to be done, kind of just waiting on two gasket/seal to arrive. An Oil Retention Seal Gasket behind the RMS, and a valve cover gasket. I'm wondering if I should replace the gaskets/seals in the timing belt/water pump area, as I'm currently in the process of replacing those two things.

The things I've done so far are:

1. Complete cleaned out the layers of caked oil all over the engine, transmission, components, and bay. Considering painting some over to give it a fresh and cleaner look.

2. Replaced Alternator and new bolts (was apparently missing one at the bottom) old alternator was caked with burnt oil.

3. Replaced oil pan gasket, you could quite visibly see the oil spew out of the sides when I would rock the motor back and forth. Surprised AZ carries and keeps them in stock.

4. Disassembled timing belt area.

Things left to do:

1. Replace Valve Cover Gasket.

2. Replace timing belt and water pump.

3. Torque everything back down to spec.

The thing that's looming over me is not having found a torque spec sheet with the complete information. I mistakenly undid the bolts around the Diff and Gearbox, that and I realized I'd need it to crank all other nuts and bolts around the engine, like the crankshaft pulley bolt and what not.

Would you happen to have any leads to where I can access some form of spreadsheet for all of that?

Do you happen to have a link for the Camry oil pump upgrade you mentioned?

What are the hose from hell and hose from hell on earth? Where do I get replacements and why is it important to replace them? Is there common/recurring issues with them?

Lastly, are there any other common oil leak spots that I should lookout for that you would recommend before putting the engine back in?

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Look at the TwosRus site for common replacement parts. Definitely need to do HFH and HFHOE as well as oil cooler O ring because this needs removal to do hoses.
Plenty of other parts to replace but hard to advise without pics and details. All depends on your time, experience and budget to how much should be done. Some people adapt the philosophy of not to fix things which are not broke. We have all been there.

jimb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts