MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock body gen 2, I don't mind rolling fenders.
I'm running JIC FLT-A2 coilovers. About 1.5-1.75 drop.
Just as a starting point from those who have done this already.
Assume custom offsets is not a problem and 17" rim.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm contemplating a 17x8 for the front.
But need to know what will work offset wise.
For the rear I'm thinking a 17x10 but again what offset?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
From what I've read over and over again... 17x8 +35 for the front and 17x9 +35 for the rear is a good setup. It's completely flush with the fenders and will give you ample room to clear your coilovers.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I already have some 17x7 and 17x8. going to a 17x9 dosen't warrant the cost.
If I'm going wider I going to a 17x10, if it is possible.
Goal is to get a 275 or wider tire in there.

·
Registered
617 Posts
komodo said:
I already have some 17x7 and 17x8. going to a 17x9 dosen't warrant the cost.
For 275s you need 9.5" wheels. Wheels that are 10" will actually require a more narrow tire.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
michaeltedone

I don't understand your post.
If a 275 requires a 9.5" rim width how does a 10" rim width require a thinner tire?

·
Registered
548 Posts
komodo said:
Why? If you're going for more traction - either for drag racing, autox or track days - I think you'd be much better off getting better tires.

If you just want the look, go for it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hsun Chen

I'am looking for more traction.
I'm going to keep the 17x7 and 17x8 for street and use a 17x8 and 10 for track with some r-compounds.
Keep in mind I should be making 400whp in the near future.

With all the money people spend on brand name wheels eg. Volk etc. I could get a set of custom offset rims for near the same price.
This should allow a no-compromise setup, hopefully allowing me to run a 10" wide rim with a fender roll.
I'm just wondering if anybody has gone this route before?
Top it off it would make the car look mean. :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
komodo said:
michaeltedone

I don't understand your post.
If a 275 requires a 9.5" rim width how does a 10" rim width require a thinner tire?
The offsets required to fit 10" wheels on a stock body will result in the wheels sticking out past the fenders. You will need to run stretched tires, even with rolled fenders.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've considered flaring the fenders but I want to do all metal.
Haven't found a local guy yet that can do it. If I do go to the expense of flaring the fenders I'll go even wider for the wow factor.

·
Registered
740 Posts
if you are sticking to R compound tires, check what sizes are available before looking into wheels. R compound tires are sometimes limmited in sizing availability for your application, depending on which R compound tire you choose.
Balance is another isse that i've been faced with. You can fit a huge rear tire, but finding a suitibly sized front tire to match has proven to be difficult. Randy Noll runs large R compound tires....285/30/18 rear and 245/35/18 front which is a nice combo, but he had to do serious fender hacking to make the fronts fit. Going with a 225 up front with a 285 rear tire is asking for understeer IMO, unless you really tune your suspension around the tire sizing issues. But so much depends on what sizes are available in the R compound tire that you choose for your type of racing.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
komodo said:
Haven't found a local guy yet that can do it. If I do go to the expense of flaring the fenders I'll go even wider for the wow factor.
Then run even bigger 12" wide rims!!! :evillaugh might as well go all out ;)

nobody on the board has done that one yet... in fact, i don't think there is an mr2 out there that has done it.

it'll be crazy cool!

·
Registered
436 Posts
komodo said:
You would probably end up with something like this car:

I'm surprised no one posted this car earlier.

·
Registered
617 Posts
komodo said:
Stretching is not an option, looks like crap and most likely kills performance.
Stretching will actually help with handling feel, as the sidewalls will be stiffer. Whether you like how it looks is another thing.

If you goal is to run 275s, you don't need flares, just use 9.5" wheels.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
komodo said:
Stretching is not an option, looks like crap and most likely kills performance.
if its not an option you will not be running a 10" wheel on a stock bodied mr2; as far as only flaring with metal, have you looked at the rear wheel wells? the top 8 inches or so are all thats metal the rest is plastic. i run a 9.5 with a 255 and ppl say me wheels are sticking out, if you add the extra 1/2 inch you will surly need flares of look like a fwd car with rwd wheels.......

and you should look into things before making statements like that; stretching tires enhances performance. a mild stretch that is like the 255s on a 9.5 now a 205 or a 215 on a 9 thats just done purely for looks and minimum contact patch

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
monopolizedinc

When "stretch" is mentioned I was thinking along the lines of some of the jap cars running a rim with a large dish and a extremely stretched tire.
If the rim width is still reccomended for that tire size I do not considered it stretched. But maybe I'm uniformed as you say. No reason to get catty.

It is possible to run a 7" rim that looks as if it is sticking out. It all depends on the offset. This is what I was orginally iquireing about is how wide can one go given an optimal offset. (eg custom rim).

1 - 20 of 72 Posts