MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 Solar Yellow (i think it's solar yellow at least) mr2 turbo has a couple 1-2mm nicks in its paint along the edge of the trunk and doors. How should I go about fixing these so they don't spread?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Touch-up paint. Get your paint code from the door jam and order it online. I doubt Toyota dealers still carry a color that's probably not been shared with many other cars in the past 20 yrs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Touch-up paint. Get your paint code from the door jam and order it online. I doubt Toyota dealers still carry a color that's probably not been shared with many other cars in the past 20 yrs.
and for the rust? I used loctite rust remover on top of it, which turned the rust black after a few days, is that good enough to just cover it? And the touch up paint doesn't need a clear coat to prevent it from chipping does it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep, the rust reformer/converter/remover stuff converts rust to a stable form of iron oxide (and makes it black). Then you paint over it with some light scuffing/degreasing of the rust remover bit to make sure the paint adheres well.

You don't need to clear the touch up paint, and a lot of the solid colors on SW20's didn't have clear from the factory. Not sure if Solar Yellow did or not. I've done touchup paint with and without clear - I think the final result doesn't really matter if there's clear on it. It more comes down to how much care you put in prepping the area and applying the touchup paint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the rust reformer/converter/remover stuff converts rust to a stable form of iron oxide (and makes it black). Then you paint over it with some light scuffing/degreasing of the rust remover bit to make sure the paint adheres well.

You don't need to clear the touch up paint, and a lot of the solid colors on SW20's didn't have clear from the factory. Not sure if Solar Yellow did or not. I've done touchup paint with and without clear - I think the final result doesn't really matter if there's clear on it. It more comes down to how much care you put in prepping the area and applying the touchup paint.
Sounds like a plan thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick, dirty and ludicrously cheap option: Nail Polish. Get it from a dollar-store, comes with a helpfully-teeny brush built in, any colour you like =)

Also like to put in a good word for rust-converters, they really work. I have had rusty patches stopped in their tracks for literally years and I live by the Tasman Sea which salts everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts