MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
TheONe said:
I have a question about my rims. I really want to remove the original color on my volk gtc that are white. What is the best way to remove the paint and just have it at a polish look ?
Have them soda blasted if they are painted
Have them caustic stripped if they are powder coated.
If you remove the paint you are not going to have a polished look.
These wheels have been etched chemically to accept paint.
They will need to be polished and then powder cleared to maintain the finish.
Depending on the quality of the casting this can sometimes prove to be impossible.

Most people find that it is easier to just buy different rims at that point.

Try looking at some of the powder coat chromes. They look like a polished aluminum in most lights. I use one that is 3 stage black/chrome/clear and it looks like aluminum.

You can also use a bright argent wheel paint like Ford 1G Silver or Honda's 2005 Magnesium Met.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Emenence said:
Is it necessary to use rim paint? Or can other spray paints be used?

Same question for the clear coat. Thanks!
I once painted some wheels with a metallic silver, was rustoleum or some other. The wheels looked great a year later. I did not mask off, as the tires were to be replaced, and there were no chips. BUT... these were not "show" wheels.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Emenence said:

Same question for the clear coat. Thanks![/QUOTE

you can use almost any paint as long as you put enough coats,dupli color engine works for me,rustoleum too works great,walmart or home depot sells it cheaper.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Emenence said:

Same question for the clear coat. Thanks!
i used john deere blitz black enamel when i repainted the buddy club/kosei wheels i picked up in december. it's supposed to be really durable, and i painted the wheels while they were bare (no tires, valve stems, etc) and didn't have any issues having the tires mounted up. i've been pretty impressed with the stuff so far.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts