MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just by chance I caught the FedEx man coming into the lobby of my building. Normally I completely bipass the lobby on the elevator going down to the parking garage, but there was someone else in the elevator this time who got off on the first floor...and there he was with two large identical boxes, and I knew...those were my 98-99 wheels. :) I haven't felt that excited since I was a kid on Christmas morning.

I jumped off the elevator and asked "are those for 315?", he looked, and said yes, and I told him I'd walk up with him. Got to my apartment, signed for the boxes, and then proceeded to tear them open. Let me say this... RPM Garage (a board vendor) does an AMAZING job of packing. I could have dropped these boxes out a fifth floor window and nothing would have happened to the wheels, they were that well wrapped and boxed.

Anyway, after getting all of the packaging off I inspected all of the wheels, and they are in immaculate shape.

Right now it looks like I will be having them installed, as well as a new set of front tires, this friday. I will post pictures of them on the car afterward of course, and will also snap some shots of just the rims themselves tonight.

-Nathan

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
Haha, i'm sure a lot of use are like that. i know i am everytime i get a new shipment of goodies.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe... I know, I'm horrible for posting about it without pics, but since they arrived just as I was leaving for work, and me opening them up actually made me late as it is, I figured I'd just take pictures later. ;)

-Nathan

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
damn man if that car was not nice enough in the first place......

pics man pics lol

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I could have dropped these boxes out a fifth floor window and nothing would have happened to the wheels, they were that well wrapped and boxed.
Prove it!!!!

(<-- science nerd looking to disprove theories)

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
monopolizedinc said:
damn man if that car was not nice enough in the first place......
I haven't touched the exterior of it too much, aside from changing the foglights out for early J/E-spec fogs, and putting in the amber side markers on the tail lenses. Other than that, I'll list what's changed since it left Virginia 6 months ago...

1. black cloth interior..out.. tan leather interior.. in.
2. J-spec power folding mirrors.
3. 98-99 red stitch steering wheel and airbag (matching shift knob to follow soon)
4. '02 Solara in-dash 6 disc headunit.
5. J-spec trunk mat.
6. The correct and official European front bumper plate holder is on it's way via a slow boat from Japan in a Toyota container ship, and I have a set of Luxembourg plates for the car which will fit that front holder and the rear US size holder, until I decide to try and bring over a European rear bumper.

In about 2 weeks Brad Bedell will be doing the 60k mile service on it, so the motor will be nice and fresh. I also fixed that valve cover leak and now run nothing but synthetic oil and the thing doesn't leak a single drop. I love that my garage floor stays clean now. :)

Overall this car has been fantastic in the 6 months and roughly 10k miles I've had it. It should be great for the ski trip to Colorado in March, which of course I have a new OEM bra for. ;)

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jarod said:
Prove it!!!!

(<-- science nerd looking to disprove theories)
hehe... if someone had a junk set of 93-96 wheels sitting around I would. :)

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hardtop2 said:
all you need now is the 98 spoiler and amber rear corner lenses and you're set
I do have the amber rear corner lenses. ;) I listed that and the fogs in the first sentence about the exterior.

I actually prefer the 94-97 spoiler, but I would get a 98-99 spoiler if I found one that was decently priced, and preferably already black, and especially if it were the authentic ABS plastic one, and not a fiberglass or carbon fiber knock off.

-Nathan

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hopefully here in the next month or so I'm throwing a set of chrome 17'' is300 5 spoke rims on my red 93. I'm not sure of how it will look but I'm sure it will look decent.

Nathan, I see you and your MR2 over at building 1 every day. I'm just wondering if I'm ever going to get a chance to see what its made of. I'm tired of hearing "Have you ran the guy from across the street yet?" i hear that about once a week. so just let me know if your game. by the way i normally work from 7am to 6 or 7 pm, so ill be free after that basically.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
we need pics I love those 98+ wheels ... those and the advans super racing II's ... those are the only two wheels on my mr2's in gt4 how much did you pay for them?

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumbklaatt said:
Hopefully here in the next month or so I'm throwing a set of chrome 17'' is300 5 spoke rims on my red 93. I'm not sure of how it will look but I'm sure it will look decent.

Nathan, I see you and your MR2 over at building 1 every day. I'm just wondering if I'm ever going to get a chance to see what its made of. I'm tired of hearing "Have you ran the guy from across the street yet?" i hear that about once a week. so just let me know if your game. by the way i normally work from 7am to 6 or 7 pm, so ill be free after that basically.
hehe... Aaron, what's up? Toss those 17" chrome IS300 wheels on there ad I'll run you. ;) hehe... I think you're definitely going to notice the difference in acceleration once you have those on there. They're pretty big and heavy, which adds to the rotational mass, which is not good for any car, but definitely not for the non-turbo. Have you already sourced the wheels and bought them? Are you set on the chrome ones? I think the silver ones go with the car better than chrome, especially on a red car like yours, but it's a personal preference.

My car really isn't about speed, it's more about looks, and to act as sort of my J-spec and euro-spec platform. It's also nice to be able to run on the cheap gas and get better gas mileage than my old turbo which required 93 octane.

Anyway, as they sit right now, it would probably be pretty close. The only major difference I can think of is that mine is originally a California car, so it has dual cats instead of a single one like yours, and the factory rated the California cars at 5hp less than the 49 state legal cars. Whether that difference actually exists in reality, in cars that are now 12 and 13 years old....I'm not sure.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blaze-65 said:
we need pics I love those 98+ wheels ... those and the advans super racing II's ... those are the only two wheels on my mr2's in gt4 how much did you pay for them?
I paid 400 plus shipping and customs from Hong Kong (which Keith had already set at 350, via EMS shipping). Even at the total cost of 750, I'm pleased. These wheels are difficult to find in the first place, and then to find them in as good a condition as this set, is even more rare. You can actually still order them through Toyota, I called Champion Toyota beforehnd to get a base idea of what they are new. Basically the wheels from Toyota would be around 1100 for the 4, but then you have to figure in about 200 for the center caps, so right there, you're looking at 1300 bucks! That's crazy. So for a little more than half that I have a complete set, with center caps, that for all intents and purposes, look new.

Okay, picture time, let me go snap some shots.

-Nathan

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
Nathan
its great to hear its still treating you well, and even better to hear that you are really making tasteful decisions regaurding the car!! cant wait to see it with the newly changed details ;)

arent the is300 wheels a +48 or something like that?? im not sure they would be on my list for a stock swapped wheel

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shinomori said:
I was going to buy those wheels! Dang it!

Congrats man. Those were pretty.

BTW How much do they weigh?
I'll know the weight by the end of the week, since I'm going to weigh them before I have tires mounted on to them.

-Nathan

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so here are three quick pics. I'm going to test fit them on the car either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon, to see if the stock 93-97 lugnuts will work with these. That would suck to get the tires mounted and balanced, only to find out I can't secure them to the car properly. hehe... Especially since the rear tires off of my current 93+ wheels are just being transfered over.

-Nathan

1 - 20 of 89 Posts