MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on purchasing a MKII rev2 turbo as my first car and read that they have a problem with fuel cut.
I'm like a 5 year old when it comes to cars.
Is anyone able to post a step by step video on how to block the vacuum hose leading to the stock boost gauge located on the dash board and replace the stock boost gauge with a aftermarket one.
Much appreciated as text guides with jargon aren't very helpful and the fact that they lack pictures is another problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What do you mean by "problem with the fuel cut"? That's a safety measure for the engine and shouldn't affect you unless you intend to crank up the boost.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm planning on purchasing a MKII rev2 turbo as my first car and read that they have a problem with fuel cut.
Fuel cut is actually not a problem, it's a safety measure designed by toyota engineers to prevent you from blowing your motor from excessive boost.

With that being said, you can modify the fuel cut threshold with an FCD to accomodate higher boost levels. Your threshold should be set according to turbo size, engine mods, intercooling mods, fuel type, etc.

But to answer your question, I purchased the electronic, digital boost gauge which came with very good instructions for how to mount it in the cluster, and how to wire it to the cluster / external sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fuel cut is actually not a problem, it's a safety measure designed by toyota engineers to prevent you from blowing your motor from excessive boost.

With that being said, you can modify the fuel cut threshold with an FCD to accomodate higher boost levels. Your threshold should be set according to turbo size, engine mods, intercooling mods, fuel type, etc.

But to answer your question, I purchased the electronic, digital boost gauge which came with very good instructions for how to mount it in the cluster, and how to wire it to the cluster / external sensor.
What gauge did you use if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like your concern is that the factory boost gauge has something to do with the fuel cut? It doesn't (if that is your concern). And fuel cut can be taken care of easily and separate from a new gauge however if you plan on getting rid of fuel cut and bumping the boost, you will want a proper gauge so you can monitor things. 👍🏼

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts