MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 MR2 Turbo JDM

Has anyone installed an NRG short hub (for the quick release) with a working horn and motorized foglights? I need help trying to figure out how I'm going to get then working. I understand that the foglights require the clockspring connected but I can't fit the hub without removing or modifying it. I'm also confused on which wires to connect for the horn, as I've looked online it's the green wire but even when hooked up my horn doesn't sound.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the horn you need to add ground wire. Pics would help, mine came with a standard (I think Works Bell) hub and I added an NRG quick release.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the horn you need to add ground wire. Pics would help, mine came with a standard (I think Works Bell) hub and I added an NRG quick release.
View attachment 75368
How are you feeling with the distance the hub and the quick release creates?

My old setup came with a hub like that, that allowed me to have a single wire connected to the clockspring which then connected to the steering wheel harness. However, I removed that since that hub + quick release seemed like it would add too much distance from the wheel to, ex. my turn signals aha. That's why I opted in for a short hub but now I can't have the oem clockspring in. Was hoping if there was another way but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a Gt trim MR2 with the telescoping steering column. Luck was with me when I bought her. Didn't even realize that the option the first few days. Im a big guy and have it set to full compression so I get it. I also wish there was a shorter hub.

Please post pics of your setup

·
Registered
4 Posts
How are you feeling with the distance the hub and the quick release creates?

My old setup came with a hub like that, that allowed me to have a single wire connected to the clockspring which then connected to the steering wheel harness. However, I removed that since that hub + quick release seemed like it would add too much distance from the wheel to, ex. my turn signals aha. That's why I opted in for a short hub but now I can't have the oem clockspring in. Was hoping if there was another way but I'm not sure.
Hey bro I’m having the same problem, did you find a workaround with the clock spring? I was thinking of modifying it, sawing off the plastic and using the pins but I’m not sure if the clockspring controls anything else besides the horn?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey bro I’m having the same problem, did you find a workaround with the clock spring? I was thinking of modifying it, sawing off the plastic and using the pins but I’m not sure if the clockspring controls anything else besides the horn?
I haven't done this yet but I figured I might as well just install the old hub I used to get the clockspring to fit, then put the quick release on top. Yea might be a bit too long than my comfort but they also make signal extensions, plus I'd really want the motorized fogs to work so this is the only possible way I could think of atm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts