MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My border hood split from the skeleton (fiberglass) towards the front directly in front of the light. The two pieces seperated, what can be used to bond the two back together again? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
fiberglass, you repair with more fiberglass. carbon fiber, you don't repair (unless it's painted, then you repair it just like fiberglass)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Alza isn't talking about the carbon fiber splitting, he's talking about the frame separating from the skin. you can repair it with resin, or any real epoxy. but what that repair says is that the initial job wasn't done right. What boarder replica did you buy?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madpsi, seems I have a isolated case and the body shop isnt sure how to fix it because they havent messed with carbon fiber before...

·
cages R slow
1,981 Posts
yea throw some resin on it (evenly), then put a plastic bag on that resin and get all the bubbles out and make it flat..... and it should be OK...

for sure its some type of manufacturing problem. there is no reason/way that the CF could seperate if it was done right

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd use epoxy for it (that's what should be holding the CF together) tape off all you're aesthetic surfaces mix up some slow epoxy and squirt it into the gap (a little goes a long way) then put every clamp you own on it, and buy some more, make sure to wipe off any epoxy that squishes out before it kicks.

What SpeedCorky's talking about is vaume bagging it I think, but if both layers are cured and they're de-laminating that wont do you much good unless you have a seriously hardcore vacume.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
when installing my hood I slamed it to hard and the hood hit the hood lacth. made a crack in my hood, a spider crack about the size of a nickle. would this affect the carbon fiber or the hood how would I fix this? its a VIS oem CF hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts