MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my full set of notes I made when wiring up my AEM Infinity 30-7106 (AEM Infinity 506) up to my '93 gen 2 3S-GTE. I bought a plug and pin kit from AEM, and a straight jumper harness from Berk. I cut the jumper harness in two and then extended wires to go to the Infinity 506 plug and pin kit.

There are multiple tabs showing the wiring, and I also used a 50 pin Y2M connector (paid ~$10 for it!) to pass many of the non-stock harness connections through an easy to disconnect connector. If you run these through an existing grommet or something like that, realize you'll not be able to easily remove the harness to say drop the engine etc.

Anyway, I think most the information is self explanatory on the wires you need to hookup and the location on a '93+ 3S-GTE (US spec) harness. You can easily map the pin locations to other 3S-GTE harness variants, and a lot of that stuff isn't really used.

I did make notes in some pins where the stock ECU say gets a 12V+ signal for AC idle up, but the Infinity has digital inputs that need a ground input (they're pulled up to 12V, so if you feed them 12V they don't see anything - pin is always high at 12V). I used a small relay board to flip things from 12V to ground.

All the stuff shown wired here works well, and the car drives great.

Wiring Spreadsheet:

Basemap (uses stock distributor, 1ZZ-FE coilpacks, gen 3 cams and EFR 6758 on 92 octane - good enough to start up on many applications):

Infinity 506 mounts up well in the factory ECU location:

Here's the patch harness (not tidy'd up, just test fit) with a ~7-8" wire length between each connector:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Wow!! That’s kinda cool.. not sure if you remember scarecrowX on here.. years ago he took a Honda ecu and hook it up too a Toyota harness and ran hondata.... he was really good with that chit

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, wiring up a standalone seems complicated, but once you see how EFI sensors work, it's not too complex really.

I do remember scarecrowX - I've asked him some questions. IMO, the Honda ECU probably made sense many years ago, but a full standalone is so much nicer and safer.

For instance, I put in a $50 fuel pressure sensor in, and now I can see that my 2JZ Denso pump (supposedly?) drops fuel pressure about 8-9 psi towards redline, but even better, the Infinity compensates 100% for this fuel pressure drop automatically because it sees the fuel pressure and adjusts the required fuel delivery - all automagically.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Yea, wiring up a standalone seems complicated, but once you see how EFI sensors work, it's not too complex really.

I do remember scarecrowX - I've asked him some questions. IMO, the Honda ECU probably made sense many years ago, but a full standalone is so much nicer and safer.

For instance, I put in a $50 fuel pressure sensor in, and now I can see that my 2JZ Denso pump (supposedly?) drops fuel pressure about 8-9 psi towards redline, but even better, the Infinity compensates 100% for this fuel pressure drop automatically because it sees the fuel pressure and adjusts the required fuel delivery - all automagically.
Totally agree, with today’s technology it doesn’t make sense. Karl-crow’x use to live here so we ventured on a few fun things... like 911 brakes on an MR2.... bleed those damn things in my garage... he’s in CO now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts