MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit it with hammers, used a gear puller, fire, penetrating oil. i cut the whole ball joint off and tried putting it in a vice and even that didnt work. Currently i am trying to drill it out but thats not really working. Does anyone have any other ideas because i am kinda lost

·
6,464 Posts
Sounds like you got too destructive to get it out the right way, here's how it's supposed to be done.

Or use a big hammer to hit what the stud goes through, not the stud. All you will do is dull drills by trying to drill the hardened steel, normal drills won't touch it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hit it with hammers, used a gear puller, fire, penetrating oil. i cut the whole ball joint off and tried putting it in a vice and even that didnt work. Currently i am trying to drill it out but thats not really working. Does anyone have any other ideas because i am kinda lost
Been there -- it sucks. If you've already cut the balljoint, can you put it securely on a press? That worked for me once on a particularly stubborn one...

·
Registered
142 Posts
The video J.Harris linked to is the correct way to remove it. BUT if you don't have it (and can't rent it locally) and you have a pickle fork and hydraulic press, you can do what Sara-N-Tuned did. Word of caution though; this method is SUPER sketch but it worked for me as well. If you end up going this route, make sure you spray some penetrating oil and make sure everything is tight/safe before doing it. And careful of your toes and eyes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been there -- it sucks. If you've already cut the balljoint, can you put it securely on a press? That worked for me once on a particularly stubborn one...
Yeah I tried sticking it in a vise with a little spacer so it can pop out and despite using my full weight and a 2 ft extension all i managed to do was waste my time

·
6,464 Posts
Yeah I tried sticking it in a vise with a little spacer so it can pop out and despite using my full weight and a 2 ft extension all i managed to do was waste my time
Haha it's a vise not a press, putting an extension on the handle is a good way to EOL one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea the press Sara and I used were 20t presses from harbor freight. I don't think a vice with a cheater bar will come close to 20 tons even with all your weight (unless you're one really BIG dude XD)

·
Registered
76 Posts
As J.harris shows one tool above there are sets available from HF and others that work pretty good (after the cotter pin and nut is removed). If you have air tools to turn the tool it helps break them off. I've used these types of tools and no matter if rusted or what they eventual break in minutes (or less). Wear safety glasses and gloves. As the ball joint shaft is tapered and presses into the wheel knuckle from factory or previous service, these tools they can give a BANG when the break free. Be careful and don't get too close when you start to tighten the tool to release!

and

or similar, are some good sets and tools to do this job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts