MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for parts for your MR2?
This is great place to find them, but you must BEWARE that there are scammers trolling most forums on the internet, including this one!

Whether you start a "Want to Buy" thread, or simply reply to a "For Sale" thread asking if the part is still available, expect to attract some scammers.
Their most common M.O. in 2021 has been to send a PM (Private Message / Conversation) saying that a friend has the part and to contact them at some email address. Semi-legit sounding addresses like [email protected] are commonly used.

Here are some of the warning signs that you're dealing with a scammer:
1) Recently joined the board (Look at their "Join Date").
2) Contact you via PM instead of posting in the thread.
3) Refer you to a "friend" that supposedly has the part you're looking for.
4) Price seems too good to be true.
5) Requests payment via Paypal "friends & family" or via Zelle or Venmo.

Any one of the above points should be a big red flag. And remember, anyone can grab a picture of a part off the web, so if there's any doubt, ask for a picture of the part including a card with some unique info next to it, like your your user name & date.

Registered
1991 mr2 automatic non turbo
I used PayPal I sent it goods and services he refused then I sent friends and family it had a different name by one letter he said it was not him same email once sent family and friends PayPal is not liable

Registered
1991 mr2 automatic non turbo
I post in detail not to air my laundry but the details always contain a phrase or word that people miss that may save them big bucks in scams like the elderly always get scammed so if one person reads my post and does not get scammed well worth the laundry list

1 - 8 of 8 Posts