MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For sale in my area, and I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium to get an MR2 now, rather than later. The guy says it has no issues, had a replaced front fender due to hitting a curb while parking, paint could be redone, no rust. It's been posted for a while, so obviously he's asking too much.

Any advice on what I should offer the guy? Things I should lookout for?

Thanks

EDIT: Fixed link

·
Registered
91 gen 4 swap, 00 stock until the K20 gets installed.
148 Posts
Find out what options it has. A/C, CC, Power locks/windows, ABS, Power Steering, & leather were all options on Turbos and they did make a few stripped down ones. Look for missing stuff like the T-top shades and bags.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Nowhere near that price....from the pic, looks like they are trying to hide things....look at the passenger side fender...that car look like crap to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find out what options it has. A/C, CC, Power locks/windows, ABS, Power Steering, & leather were all options on Turbos and they did make a few stripped down ones. Look for missing stuff like the T-top shades and bags.
what does CC mean? sorry I'm a noob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nowhere near that price....from the pic, looks like they are trying to hide things....look at the passenger side fender...that car look like crap to me
They did mention the fender when I asked about any possible damage. They should be more specific in the desc anyways

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Heck, look at the driver's side fender, looks, too me, maybe damaged too. Maybe Im wrong, maybe there isnt a ding/dent in it.
Needs many more pics.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
This seller knows what he has and isn't budging, looks like he's going to sit on it for years if he has to - he wants his price and that's that. So you may have to make your buying decision based on that.

On the plus side, his ad states he has 20 years of maintenance records, so I'd browse through them.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I’ll go against the grain and say that’s a pretty realistic price with the current used car market. Yes, it’s pricey for the market 1-2 years ago, but might be pretty spot on now.

Maybe offer him $10k highlighting it needs the fender painted, and see what happens.

·
Registered
1992 JDM RHD Turbo T-Top All Stock
52 Posts
I vote against buying it, high mileage and the engine bay picture doesn't look great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Simple answer is it's a Turbo MR2 that you want to buy, that's a Turbo MR2 in good shape at the very least. You should take a personal look at it.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I’ll go against the grain and say that’s a pretty realistic price with the current used car market. Yes, it’s pricey for the market 1-2 years ago, but might be pretty spot on now.

Maybe offer him $10k highlighting it needs the fender painted, and see what happens.
Agreed. Maybe I'm missing something in the description, but that looks like a bone stock MR2 Turbo. Good luck finding a bone stock MR2 Turbo for less than that price. As far as mileage goes, 145K is nothing. I'd be more scared if it had 12K miles on it.

Just understand: this is a 30 year old car. You're going to spend time and money replacing old, cracked rubber hoses. But my 1992 has 170K miles on it and rubber hoses really have been the most common issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would suggest in finding a long time owner in your area in order to find someone who can give you ":first hand exam of the Mr2," could be invaluable.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I vote against buying it, high mileage and the engine bay picture doesn't look great.
How is 145k on a 30 year old car high mileage? That's an average of 4800miles per year, the national average is over 9000. The engine bay looks like salt residue from being in Washington. I'd be more worried about the condition of the chassis than how the aluminum in the engine bay looks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
How is 145k on a 30 year old car high mileage? That's an average of 4800miles per year, the national average is over 9000. The engine bay looks like salt residue from being in Washington. I'd be more worried about the condition of the chassis than how the aluminum in the engine bay looks.
My 91 has 38K on it...that is Low Mile

·
Registered
1992 JDM RHD Turbo T-Top All Stock
52 Posts
Unpopular opinion:
I believe mileage is not relative to age of the car. Feels like sellers use this logic to rationalize high mileage.

I'd pay 2-3x more much for a well cared for 38k car than a well cared for 145k car.

Unrelated to the mileage, I would also pay significantly less for a car driven on salt covered roads. (My car goes away when the salt comes out)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts