MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after owning a 87 supra turbo for awhile now im starting to push the limits...

the supra is my first car so i dont wanna mess it up in an accendent...

so i decided to get another car...(rx7 turbo 2 VS. MR2 87 with mk2 turbo swap)

well since the rx7 is a rotary engine ill be a whole def. thing...

so i decided to go with the mr2...

im planing on getting an 87 mr2 shell and drop in the 3sgte in it...

but i need to know how much will it cost to drop in a stock 3sgte???

anyhelp would be great thanks

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,129 Posts
Between $3000 and $7000 depending on the price of the 1/2 cut you start with, how many tools you need to buy, what IC setup you go with, how many new vs. used parts you buy, and how clean vs. ghetto an install you want.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Basically the earlier generations weighed less than 87+ if you can find a hardtop, even better. Information i can confirm is that the suspension for my 89 SC is quite abit heavier than my 86 NA suspension. Other then that I don't really know that much else, i just know it's lighter. oh and the sc engine lid is one thing that's lighter on the later models.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a complete 3sgte in my garage and I found a running 85 na for $400 what else is needed to bolt it in?

·
Registered
382 Posts
what if u bought an engine off ebay for 2000 like everything tranny ecu wireing harnesses and everything like a clip.

would the shop still charge the average 700-800$ for a swap or would it be more. cause its if only 4000$ i might do it. and go 13' lol

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
theres a crap load of fabbing to do.....Im sure a shop woul charge more then 800 bucks

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,129 Posts
Just about anyone that could afford to pay a shop to do a proper MK1.5 conversion is probably already driving a Boxster S or NSX or ZO6 or something...

·
Registered
136 Posts
kirkosaurus said:
I think Carl said once a turn key 3SGTE swap would cost you around 5-6 grand at his shop, maybe even more.
does that include the clip? good deal if it does.

·
No! My car is not cute!
1,776 Posts
I think Carls price included the motor and tranny. If I did it I wan't like 5k just for the labor so that's a good deal.

As far as the 85 being lighter goes, it is, but most of the extra weight of the later modles is sound deadening which is removable plus the 85 has smaller brakes. The rear suspension is slighlty different too.

Anyway, I would not go with the 85 car at all unless you plan on upgrading the brakes as part of your install. The upgrade would have to include bigger diameter brakes.

Get an 87 and up and cut yourself a little work.

·
No! My car is not cute!
1,776 Posts
It's a good idea but the diameter of the 87 up brakes are the exact same as the diameter of the 91 92 brakes for the turbo model. So if he is keeping the motor stock, like he said, then I would think he'd be OK with the stock 87 and up brakes and some good pads. Not EBC but some Carbotechs. I don't like the EBCs

Your right though, it wouldn't take much more power to cause you to have to upgrade the 87 brakes too.

With 240 whp and up I've found that you need diameters closer to the 93T. Actually at 240 whp you could probably get away with just doing the 93T rear caliper and Corrado vented disk upgrade in the back and just have some good pads on the front with the stock disk and calipers of the 87 up. I liked that setup, it gave some good bias to the rear which was needed.

In the range of 250 whp and up you are probably gonna be forced to change the fronts too, especially if you've add a 6 point bar as I did. In my high boost mode it doesn't take long to get the fronts way to hot which is why I'm working on the 11" disc and 4 pot for the front.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I am new to the MK1 and really new to the MK1.5 so where is the best resource for learning all of the swap info I will need to take on this project. I have a complete 3sgte, harness intercooler ect. I am also looking for a shell. Thanks Jake

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,129 Posts
Look in the MK1.5 FAQ sub-forum located at the top of this forum. Especially read the write up by Carl Crawford.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts