MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

after enough driving time in the mr2 since i just recently got it (1/8/2006 :)), now it's time for me start considering mods. but first i need to know how much power i already might have without going to the dyno yet. i just want an estimate from the more experienced users on this site (i figure i might be able to get a really close estimate from a lot of very knowledgable people on this site without spending money on the dyno)

this is the list of engine mods that came with the car:
? HKS Turbo Exhaust System
? HKS EVC II (i set it to medium boost always cuz i want to keep my engine running for a little longer. so it's around stock boost ~0.8 bar).
? HKS VPC
? HKS Fuel Cut Defencer
? HKS Super Mega Flow
? HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve

just want an idea so i know what to do next. maybe i should get supporting mods so i can up my boost since i already have an evc? (the previous owner has ran as much as 18psi of boost before...) what supporting mods will compliment what i already have better? i'm looking for reliable 250+rwp (i've read it's quite possible with the 3sgte and ct26). reliable as in if i boost quite frequently or all the time(more likely) my motor will not just explode. i have 160,000 original miles on the motor.

i've searched but most people start off with a stock car, so i'm not sure how to apply most ppls' routes to my situation.

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i shall look into that. i did search it's just that not everybody started off the same place as i did, that's why i'm asking. anybody else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I have simular mods as you.

hks exhaust
hks intake
greddy ic kit
blitz sbs set to 11 psi
hks ssqv
hks fuel cut defuser
act clutch

im guessing and hoping im making at least 200 rwhp, hopefully 210, that would make me really happy.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
i made 205whp at 15psi with intake and exhaust. you don't need any supporting mods to run 15psi reliably, but that's the limit. get an ic, and you can squeeze out 16psi reliably. I've been running 15-16psi daily for a little over a year and nothing major has happened that points to engine failure. however i dono what you've read about the ct26, but i don't know of many that are making 250whp with anything short of an EMS and fairly built motor, not many on an upgraded ct26 either.

a ct27 is what you want for a bolt on turbo that is a step up from stock and 260-270whp can be had out of it reliably as well.

160K is a lot of miles, might wanna check out compression and a leakdown, unless the previous owner already did it recently before you bought it and told you the results. although i have 135K miles on mine, and it's running strong (actually i'm planning to bump up the power to about 270-280whp), it's as old engine and i have no idea how bad (or good) it has bene treated in its lifeetime, so i expect the engine to go at any day. so whatever you do, if it's your daily driver, keep in mind that something could happen and be prepared for it to minimize downtime and get it back on the road.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i see. so 250rwhp is not very easily attainable. in that case i will just go for a ct27 then jk jk (but soon :evillaugh ). yea i will run compression and leak down tests before any further mods. i am happy with the speed my car currently have, and won't be modding it maybe for a couple of months. i just wanted to get an idea of where i'm at right now. a major mod i need before power mods is the tranny, cuz i can't stand the shifter on the 91, even though i already got a short shifter kit. i'll go for a 93+ asap before anything else.

so with my current mods 15psi is ok? 0.8 bar is around 10.5 psi iirc last time i checked, if not it's around there. the previous owner said he's ran the car at 18psi before and nothing happened. i'd have to do a full inspection to see if he did in fact messed up the engine in any way, though i doubt it cuz the engine/turbo spool up are really smooth, and they're are in good condition according to Integrity Auto :) who knows, maybe when i'm feeling destructive i'll raise my boost to 15psi, and i'll see what happens :evillaugh :evillaugh

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
i have beenrunning 15psi for a while now to no problems, and so have a lot of other owners with minimum mods. (intake exhaust) just dont go to 18. after 15-16psi the ct26 is just blowin hot air :)

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
FallingSux said:
after 15-16psi the ct26 is just blowin hot air :)
the turbo ALWAYS blows out hot air... :dontknow:

a misconception on this board that just stuck with people...the turbo will ALWYAS blow "hot air", the reason why people don't boost past 16-17psi is because the turbo is out of its efficiency range. the "hot air" after 16psi is because after that, the turbo produces minimal HP gains versus pressure

·
Registered
294 Posts
hmm..
let?s say i have stock car, exept (for example) td05 (wish i had..), exhaust, and good intercooler.. could I keep up 17psi reliably? or would i need something else to prevent detonation, like plugs? (yeah i know, i would need rom, black box or something like that also..)

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
you need fuel. plugs colder than stock will help with higher boost, but if you don't have fuel to support the extra volume of air then...well you should know what happens next. you *could* run 17psi with race gas but i can't garuntee you that, you'd need to strap it on a dyno and measure the AFR's to truly know. Black boxes pale in comparison to getting a rom tune from ATS.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Boz said:
the turbo ALWAYS blows out hot air... :dontknow:

a misconception on this board that just stuck with people...the turbo will ALWYAS blow "hot air", the reason why people don't boost past 16-17psi is because the turbo is out of its efficiency range. the "hot air" after 16psi is because after that, the turbo produces minimal HP gains versus pressure
out of its efficiency range...and right off the map into an overspeed condition at higher rpms. If you listen really carefully you can hear the bearings and seals dissolving!

Bruce

·
Registered
294 Posts
Boz said:
you need fuel. plugs colder than stock will help with higher boost, but if you don't have fuel to support the extra volume of air then...well you should know what happens next. you *could* run 17psi with race gas but i can't garuntee you that, you'd need to strap it on a dyno and measure the AFR's to truly know. Black boxes pale in comparison to getting a rom tune from ATS.
yep, i know.. ATS rom tune and fuel..:) Here only 93 octane available.. but 17psi should be safe with ATS(TD05)-kit and IC with 93? What sparkplugs ATS recommends with their kits?

(sry about hijacking..)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Boz said:
^ ouch, haha, i take it that you heard that sound once before? ;) j.k
I didn't personally hear those sounds because of the helmet. But I did hear the god-awful screeching sound loud and clear once the bearings were just about gone. It was right after that that the seal let go and sprayed the windshield of a buddy who was on my tail going around and down a blind corner! I heard all about that loud and clear also!

Bruce

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
nicomr21 said:
yep, i know.. ATS rom tune and fuel..:) Here only 93 octane available.. but 17psi should be safe with ATS(TD05)-kit and IC with 93? What sparkplugs ATS recommends with their kits?

(sry about hijacking..)
the majority of people on here use ngk BKR7E

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hijacking is welcome :D ok so for now i'll up my boost to or slightly below 15 psi. i hope my engine doesn't just explode. and in the meanwhile that i'm enjoying the slight power gain with 15psi, i shall save up even more so maybe i can do a 93+ tranny swap along with a new motor and ct27 :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
let?s put this here.. searched but didn?t find anything.. :(
with stock car, if I would install ATS TD05-kit (combo) and exhaust + all they recommend (I know how much power I should expect from that) + HKS 264 cams.. What kind of power gains would cams make with that set?
any educated guesses? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts