MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy I know wants to sell me his 94 Mr2 turbo for $10,000.00.
See what you Guy think.
1. one owner but not well taking care off.
2. White Paint is faded spider crack on front bumper
3. Abs and check engine light on
4. ripped driver side seat
5. Oil spot around turbo. Probably will need turbo rebuilt soon
6. look like all vacuum hoses will need to be replace due to cracking
7. Car sound like either the header is crack or the gasket at the header is not tigh. Sound noisy at start up and when giving it some gas.
8. will be needing new tires because tires are old and crack
9 the Oem rims will need to be sanded down and repaint.
10. the speedo doesn’t work But techometer is working
11. two front windows tint not the same color
12. Driver side window doesn’t roll up or down.
13. one rust spot size of a nickel on driver side door
He is firm at $10,000.00

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Depends on how much you like '94 turbos.

Definitely a project for sure, sounds like an outdoor car too. Keep In mind that even if you wrench yourself, you'll be spending several thousand and a few months to get it into halfway decent shape. The owner is just milking what he can get out of the '94 model year when a '91 is just as good - and far cheaper too.

You'll have to weigh the costs against the scarcity of the car mixed in with how much you really want it. IMO, I would never spend $10K on an SW20 in such sad (and expensive) shape.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You do realize that there are no ABS units available anymore. So, how much do you have to spend to delete the ABS system? Plus, an unknown CEL. Plus all the other "minor" (not) issues. He might find a taker (sucker) at 10k. If you do your own work (do you like installing new brake lines?), maybe the 6K mentioned by mtang65, otherwise, south of 5k. I personally would not touch it in the current condition.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
That dude just drop a 'not' joke on us? wow

Ok, on this, Im with the others. Sure it's a 94 so it's got the updated tails and spoiler, but that's a laundry list of things to repair and there is likely more to do not listed

·
Registered
325 Posts
Let see some pictures.
For 10k you can get a really good rebuild 1991 turbo on OfferUp or Craigslist. It’s ready to roll in style.
the main issue is the turbo.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking no more than $6500.00. I told him about the engine Noise and he brought it to his mechanic and the guy say the timing was off so they end up replacing the timing belt and water pump. That still doesn’t solve the engine noise issue. They did check the compression and it is all good.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Short version: I wouldn't pay more than what's suggested above.

This is a tug of war between the car's inflated value vs. its over-hyped status among our community as one of the rarer versions of the model. Austin is completely right about what you can get for $10K almost anywhere in the country: a turn-key '91 turbo in perfect shape previously owned & garaged by an obsessive crackpot. Sometimes we need to realize that even the '94/'95 models w/ the lower production runs can be neglected money pits. That's not to say that any of this isn't fixable, all of it is and could make a sweet project for someone willing to put in the time & money (a lot of both).

But anyone would be deluding themselves if they thought that the final price is $10K when it's more like $15K to get it on the road without it running or looking like a junk heap, $17K+ to make it immaculate. That seems high, but do the math and you'll see I'm right when only 2 items alone like engine work & paint could run you $4.5K, seats could be an easy grand right there. This seller knows the rarity of the model and is determined to bleed you for it despite its poor condition.

So, do you want a beautiful '94t for $17K?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would tell you get a cheaper one and do a swap and get it refreshed. Your going to spend a lot of money to get it where you want.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I recently bought a '91T for just under $9k Canadian ($6500USD) That has been garaged its whole life and has a laundry list of upgrades and new parts and a paint job where the entire car was disassembled.
I sold my old 91T with the engine and interior from this one (Gen2, interior was gutted and replaced with ****** "Rocket" buckets, carpet was cut to **** and diamond plate put on the floor. I got just over $6k Canadian ($4300USD) for it.
I think I overpaid a few hundred bucks for the new one but I think the old one was a very fair price..

There is definitely a bloat on prices all around but I'm not sure it's worth double to have a '94. Personally I like the older styling on the rear lights and although I have not driven a revision AW or SW, I get the impression the earlier ones are more fun for those who like to push the car.

It will cost you a fair amount of time and money to get it where you want, starting off by paying as little as possible for a base to build on is a BIG advantage.

This one sounds like its going to need a fair amount of going over just to be reliably drive-able, never mind all the stuff to make it look decent. I'd stick to the price range you are throwing out. If you REALLY want it go up to $7k but hold there and if he won't sell just tell him to keep your number and get in touch if he changes his mind before you get another one.

Good luck. =D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '86 MR2 I will be selling soon so I have spent some time trying to determine a fair price. There is a website called bringatrailer.com that sells exotic or collectable cars. If you go to their site, you can do a query on all MR2 cars sold. You get a scatter diagram of: (when sold, (price sold or (reserve not met. You can also take a look of the write-up for each of the cars. This is a great way to get an idea on pricing.

You also need to take a hard look at yourself and determine what it is you really want. Are you a hard-core collector that has to have this model year or are you looking for a fun car for a Sunday drive in the country. If you don't need "this" car then there are still a lot of nice, well kept cars out there that will make you smile and not ding your wallet so much.

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keep in mind Bring A Trailer tends to bring higher prices, because they usually only accept vehicles in very good conditions, and the MR2s they sell are usually very low mileage (60k or under) and they're pitching to an enthusiast market. Go on Facebook Marketplace to get an idea of what people are asking for MR2s in more common condition.

Saying that, in the three years I've owned my '93 NA, bought in good conditon for 2k, asking prices have definitely been creeping upward. I've seen NAs go for 5-6k and turbos for 10k plus, to say nothing of rarities like hardtop or 94/95 models.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Forget about Bring a trailer or Facebook market place, MR2OC.com is the place to judge the fair value. Just describe what you’re selling and many of us can chime in.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
BAT would not be fair to compare with all the crap wrong with this car.
And mileage doesnt mean a damn either when, again, there's this much wrong with the car. This, obviously, wasnt a car garage kept and babied for decades.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Forget about Bring a trailer or Facebook market place, MR2OC.com is the place to judge the fair value. Just describe what you’re selling and many of us can chime in.
You're right as far as fair value. All I suggeted Facebook Marketplace for was to see what people were asking for their cars (not neccessarily getting for them).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts