MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called my Toyota dealer and laughed. $1453.52.

I have another guy that will do it for $350 labor.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
i just got quoted 525, 7 hrs labor. but he came HIGHLY recommended and it helped that when i walked into the service bay, a guy was finishing up an engine swap in the MKII... :thumbup but still, that's a lot of change, plus 345 for a spec clutch, and to resurface the flywheel (whatever that costs). crap, wish it were summer or else i would do the swap myself.

edit: i guess its not so bad since i just called another speed shop (i used to go to this one with stuff i needed before i moved) and they quoted me 490. it takes about $30 to make a round trip back home...so it evens out i guess. dang, i guess you guys getting $300 quotes are from shops that don't charge 70+/hr or they are unfamiliar with how much of a PITA the clutch job is.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
ok, phew, 439 sounds more like it. haha, when i brought my car up to the guy, he was like, "oh ____, i hate working on mr2s". <- call me weird, but i love it when a mechanic tells me this, makes me feel a lil better knowing that they have at least worked on em before

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Quoted almost $1500.00 from Toyota! I did it myself. The going rate for general mechanics is around $400.00 - $550.00 labor. Most people are scared of the Mr2!

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
Kurdain said:
Local guy around here quoted me $900, and said it was as low as he could do it for...heh.

I am doing it myself.
NOT that hard, just time consuming.
yeah, if my clutch started to slip during spring break or summer when i'm off from school...(well at least less pressure from it during these periods) i would definately do it myself...but i tried helping my friend do it aobut a year ago to his and ended up taking 3-4 days...not cool

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah,
Mines gonna take at least a week.
2 days to pull it then I work for 3 days (12.5 hour shifts)
1 day to swap stuff over and get flywheel resurfaced.
2 days to put it back in maybe.

I have a spare car so I am not worried about taking a long time, also I am upgrading suspension and waiting on LED mod to my interior lights so again, I'm not in a rush.
It looks like it would be all done in a day with the right tools and experience.
A fully adjustable tranny jack woulda been REALLY nice, I shoulda grabbed my dads last time I was there, but a floor jack and getting mad at it worked for me.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts