MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

How many people here have taken their MR2 on track?

• I have

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • I have not

Votes: 9 32.1%
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Over used my gen4 as the pace car for the New England Region of the SCCA for the last 9-10 years averaging 7 events a year and pacing about 20 sessions per event. The real fun is when there’s an incident and I have to catch/pickup the field.
I’ve also run a bunch of track days.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Over used my gen4 as the pace car for the New England Region of the SCCA for the last 9-10 years averaging 7 events a year and pacing about 20 sessions per event. The real fun is when there’s an incident and I have to catch/pickup the field.
I’ve also run a bunch of track days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've done track days last year for the first time. None this year... 2 torn ligaments in left knee and pushing the clutch pedal has not been easy. But knee is getting better, so maybe later this year.

To me, track day is like stressful fun. So much to learn and execute while trying to push my car to the limits but not get it sideways in front of the other cars. Did 15 sessions last year. Most with an instructor in the car. Seems like small adjustments can make big changes. I love it but I feel like I am really, really sloooow!!! Lots to remember (at least for me) to make the fastest laps. There are sets of turns I'm ok at and other turns I can't seem to do well consistently. Have almost had it sideways a few times, going into turns very hot.

For the most part, I'm running a stock '93 Turbo with aftermarket strut tower braces, adjustable struts, SS brake lines. That's it. It's a handful to try to keep up with faster cars, which is most of them.

I have run at Palmer Motor Sports in Palmer MA... It is a great track! It has been rated as a top 10 track in America. Very technical. Only 1 long sweeper on the front side that allows you to step on it and keep it down. Many other turns are all like hairpins or lead into hairpins. Pretty much a late apex on all the turns. Place is well run and safety is always stressed.

If anyone ever gets up to Palmer Motor Sports let me know. I live close by. It's a great track. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No tracks in Idaho - closest available are in Utah And Central Oregon. We do, however line up people along dirt roads, chain a box to the rear bumper, and have people fill the box with rocks as the mr2 passes by. The car that travels the furthest wins the box of rocks. Our state originated the adage "dummer 'n a box of rocks".....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One recommendation as well is make sure your car is in top shape. Also, find a way to manage your engine bay temps. Mine got so hot, I melted heat tape off of some piping, as well as started to melt some vacuum lines. I have since done a few things to address this (turbo blanket, heat wrap my downpipe, etc.)
Is there a turbo blanket that’ll cover the OEM heat shield?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, my SW20 has been to the track once or twice:

6/ goes without saying to have your maintenance upto date including changing coolant and have correct 50/50 mix. Antifreeze also raises boiling point which will help reduce engine temps.
Not to threadjack, but antifreeze is generally frowned upon on racetracks here -- most inspection checklists will ask if you've replaced it with water. A few reasons: 0) you're probably not at a racetrack in freezing temps; 1) a closed cooling system should never reach boiling anyways; 2) pure water has better specific heat and is a more efficient coolant; 3) antifreeze is slippery -- when it inevitably leaves your car and ends up on the track surface, you need to shut the track down similar to an oil spill; water just goes away.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I agree with you for the most part on those points for track use. There are alternatives to using standard antifreeze but I don't know much about them. Perhaps others could chime in on what they use. -7C this morning where I live so antifreeze is essential for us road runners.

Apart from antifreeze doing its job it also has anti-corrosion properties. If you just run plain water there will be electrolysis and resulting sludge to contend with. Do you use an additive?

As a side note for cooling purposes I do use a product called "Water Wetter" to break down the surface tension of antifreeze mix. Not sure how effective this is so interested in others comments. I also use same mix in my A2W IC .

jimb

·
Registered
49 Posts
Apart from antifreeze doing its job it also has anti-corrosion properties. If you just run plain water there will be electrolysis and resulting sludge to contend with. Do you use an additive?

As a side note for cooling purposes I do use a product called "Water Wetter" to break down the surface tension of antifreeze mix. Not sure how effective this is so interested in others comments. I also use same mix in my A2W IC .
Water Wetter is exactly what I use for corrosion protection, and slightly better cooling. I've logged 5-6 C temp drops with it, compared to water. (Either way, with junkyard fancy JDM engines, there's always sludge to deal with, so I tend to flush the system with radiator cleaner ~every time the engine's out). Redline has a pretty good whitepaper with supposed benefits.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,606 Posts
In the USA at least, organizers of track days / HPDEs do not expect the mostly street driven cars that participate to run only water. If someone drops antifreeze on the track then it's shut down 20-30 minutes for clean-up. I remember running through a stretch of tarmac at a Thunderhill track day years ago when someone had blown a hose. Pucker factor goes way way up. Saved it in my Spyder. Probably wouldn't have in a MK2... but that's a different discussion.

Wheel to wheel racing, yes it's water + water wetter.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Water Wetter is exactly what I use for corrosion protection, and slightly better cooling. I've logged 5-6 C temp drops with it, compared to water. (Either way, with junkyard fancy JDM engines, there's always sludge to deal with, so I tend to flush the system with radiator cleaner ~every time the engine's out). Redline has a pretty good whitepaper with supposed benefits.
That's good info to know on Water Wetter performance although I did not think it had any corrosion protection properties. From memory it will raise boiling point or fluid but does not change freezing pt. I gave it a try in radiator & IC but really never saw any measurable reduction in engine temps. Might need to chuck another bottle in next summer especially with my ST205 IC core is rather small and subjected to engine bay heat.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I curious if the OEM shield would be enough to keep the heat in check after a hot lap.
No it wont. One of the issues with the turbo model is that the IC blocks a fair amount of air coming into engine bay especially when stationary such as after a hot lap. Since I installed an A2W IC on top of engine I and used a fan from NA with shroud to vent air directly from RH side intake. Changed the temp probe position from engine lid to TB which keeps fan running longer and push air through backside of turbo area. If its especially hot outside the probe can be disconnected which keeps fan running full time. In addition I run a water injection system which is another method to not only reduce engine temps but controls detonation. These mods assist with keeping the temps down during and after track laps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
No it wont. One of the issues with the turbo model is that the IC blocks a fair amount of air coming into engine bay especially when stationary such as after a hot lap. Since I installed an A2W IC on top of engine I and used a fan from NA with shroud to vent air directly from RH side intake. Changed the temp probe position from engine lid to TB which keeps fan running longer and push air through backside of turbo area. If its especially hot outside the probe can be disconnected which keeps fan running full time. In addition I run a water injection system which is another method to not only reduce engine temps but controls detonation. These mods assist with keeping the temps down during and after track laps.
View attachment 81544

View attachment 81543
I have the same A2W.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
View attachment 81544

View attachment 81543
Where do you install the Heat exchanger?

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Where do you install the Heat exchanger?
I did mine a bit different as wanted to retain my working AC. Used the St205 heat exchanger and installed under trunk with a stainless duct to direct air into and out rear vent. Put the pump and custom reservoir in trunk on LHS side panel area. Tucked away there I still have whole trunk to pack gear into when needed.

My solution required building a custom exhaust to go around HE duct. One side is 2.5” and uses a decent muffler where as the other side is a 3” direct pipe to exit which is controlled by and exhaust cut-out valve. This way I can cruise down the road quite peacefully but if I want to increase performance & noise I flip the switch to open.

·
Registered
17 Posts
During 2019 and Covid I went a lot more than I did this year. But I love tracking my car. Much more than I love driving her on the street with all the 16yr olds on their phones piloting their brand new kias trying to wipe me out
Exactly . . . I feel safer on a track at 90mph than I do on a street at 35mph.
I auto-X mostly but have run one Track night at NHMS (New Hampshire Motor Speedway). Plan on running again at the same venue August 4

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I did mine a bit different as wanted to retain my working AC. Used the St205 heat exchanger and installed under trunk with a stainless duct to direct air into and out rear vent. Put the pump and custom reservoir in trunk on LHS side panel area. Tucked away there I still have whole trunk to pack gear into when needed.

My solution required building a custom exhaust to go around HE duct. One side is 2.5” and uses a decent muffler where as the other side is a 3” direct pipe to exit which is controlled by and exhaust cut-out valve. This way I can cruise down the road quite peacefully but if I want to increase performance & noise I flip the switch to open.
I’d like to see pictures. I am currently using the greddy-type IC side mounted at the stock location as the HE. Keep the factory fan as is. It’s not the best way to go but i want to keep my AC and I don’t track my ride or street racing.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Ok I'll dig out some pics when I'm back at work. Think they are on flash drive in my desk draw.

jimb

21 - 39 of 39 Posts