MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

How many people here have taken their MR2 on track?

• I have

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • I have not

Votes: 9 30.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted a quick and simple poll, was curious how many had ever taken their 2 on track. Not an auto-x, but a track day.
If you want to post where, that'd be cool to. Post pics, what your experience was like etc

For me - three track days so far. Two at Charlotte ROVAL and one at VIR. But more are coming, maybe in the next 4 weeks actually.

·
Registered
251 Posts
During 2019 and Covid I went a lot more than I did this year. But I love tracking my car. Much more than I love driving her on the street with all the 16yr olds on their phones piloting their brand new kias trying to wipe me out

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cool thing, to me, about a track day is that its NOT a race, but a chance to see what you and your car can do in a [fairly] controlled environment. No texters and people running stop signs etc. Most places have lots of run-off in the event you DO go off track.
It's fun, it's not that hard on your car, really. Yes, harder, but not like it's going to tear your vehicle up or something.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The cool thing, to me, about a track day is that its NOT a race, but a chance to see what you and your car can do in a [fairly] controlled environment. No texters and people running stop signs etc. Most places have lots of run-off in the event you DO go off track.
It's fun, it's not that hard on your car, really. Yes, harder, but not like it's going to tear your vehicle up or something.
I crossed over 2 set of train tracks yesterday, I guessed that doesn’t count.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm a much faster driver now than when I first started and I'm to the point I need to spend some significant money on the car so it can keep up with me. But yes, everything you said about track days is true. Hands down a better experience than blasting around on the street

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Track days also, I think, change your outlook on what to spend your money on when modding your car.
I think back (and I just had a thread on this topic) of me early with my first MR2 and reading magazines etc. Super Street was about looks and high horsepower. But SCC would have these 'boring' tech articles on upgrading your suspension and brakes... I loved SCC more than SS, but I didnt care for the boring bits. Well, now, I get it.

Im looking at spending almost 3 grand on big brakes before i repaint the car because I realized that my stock brakes (with some good pads) just didnt give me the confidence on track. Paint will come, but, dangit, I want to get a little faster around a track, first.
Good tires are important, today it's buying 200TW tires that will grip PERIOD, or dropping a few pounds off the car, not adding the subwoofer etc

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've had my car on track in a few iterations. Completely stock, stock with 200tw tires, turbo with 200tw tires, and turbo with 300tw tires.

The most fun has been turbo with 300tw tires, they're a lot more approachable at the limit.

2nd most fun was stock on stock size 700tw tires. Lots of slip angle possible and low speeds make for a great learning experience.

200tw tires are way faster, but the best way to learn how to drive fast is to push tires with low levels of grip so you get the feeling of what it's like to push the car properly.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Track runs are the best experience for MR2 owners as it teaches you about the cars capabilities, good & bad. Best to push the limits in a controlled enviroment rather than on the road where you have many other obstacles to deal with. Best time I had was when I did a night session and it started to drizzle which made the track very slippery. All but 3 of drivers bailed out of session but I kept going and it taught me how to handle car going through corners and accelerating & braking at speed. I recommend any MR2 owner to give it a go as its really fun and should be the first 'mod' to the car by training the nut behind the wheel.

jimb

·
Registered
358 Posts
Did one last year. Was definitely a shakedown to find what I needed to upgrade. Working on getting some of that done before the next one. Here is a drone video a friend took. Ignore the terrible music, it was meant as a placeholder but it never got changed. When I get towed off, its because I blew the intercooler pipe off from the turbo.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Track runs are the best experience for MR2 owners as it teaches you about the cars capabilities, good & bad. Best to push the limits in a controlled enviroment rather than on the road where you have many other obstacles to deal with. Best time I had was when I did a night session and it started to drizzle which made the track very slippery. All but 3 of drivers bailed out of session but I kept going and it taught me how to handle car going through corners and accelerating & braking at speed. I recommend any MR2 owner to give it a go as its really fun and should be the first 'mod' to the car by training the nut behind the wheel.

jimb
My recent track day - the third hot session was at night and it started raining. Yep, more and more dropped off but I just kept on running loving life

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
@benckj is right. I learned SO MUCH at a 3 day driving school in Portland (run by Dane Pitaressi, who also supported the Toyota Firehawk endurance race team) many years ago. It was drizzling rain most of the 2nd day. The school used MK2nas as the school cars, though I drove my (then brand new) 91T.
Basically it was 3 consecutive HPDEs with a greater emphasis on the instruction, of course.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Did one last year. Was definitely a shakedown to find what I needed to upgrade. Working on getting some of that done before the next one. Here is a drone video a friend took. Ignore the terrible music, it was meant as a placeholder but it never got changed. When I get towed off, its because I blew the intercooler pipe off from the turbo.

Looks like a fun day. Do I need a helmet? Passenger allowed?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a fun day. Do I need a helmet? Passenger allowed?

I posted this earlier today, long but, I thought, good ha
I tried to be thorough so people had a good idea of what to expect in 2022.

·
Registered
358 Posts
One recommendation as well is make sure your car is in top shape. Also, find a way to manage your engine bay temps. Mine got so hot, I melted heat tape off of some piping, as well as started to melt some vacuum lines. I have since done a few things to address this (turbo blanket, heat wrap my downpipe, etc.)

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Speaking about heat here are a couple of tips;
1/ last lap is always a cool down run where you cruise at lower speeds and don’t use brakes.
2/ once in pit after hot laps don’t put handbrake on as it can stick to rotor and damage it.
3/ leave engine idling and open engine lid to help reduce temps.
4/ turbo timer helps as it runs front fans through radiator during run down.
5/ run engine 1/2 litre over full with oil. This reduces oil starvation during cornering, allows a larger buffer for oil and more capacity to remove heat from internal parts.
6/ goes without saying to have your maintenance upto date including changing coolant and have correct 50/50 mix. Antifreeze also raises boiling point which will help reduce engine temps.

Jimb

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking about heat here are a couple of tips;
1/ last lap is always a cool down run where you cruise at lower speeds and don’t use brakes.
2/ once in pit after hot laps don’t put handbrake on as it can stick to rotor and damage it.
3/ leave engine idling and open engine lid to help reduce temps.
4/ turbo timer helps as it runs front fans through radiator during run down.
5/ run engine 1/2 litre over full with oil. This reduces oil starvation during cornering, allows a larger buffer for oil and more capacity to remove heat from internal parts.
6/ goes without saying to have your maintenance upto date including changing coolant and have correct 50/50 mix. Antifreeze also raises boiling point which will help reduce engine temps.

Jimb
Great points that I forgot to mention!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Just wanted a quick and simple poll, was curious how many had ever taken their 2 on track. Not an auto-x, but a track day.
If you want to post where, that'd be cool to. Post pics, what your experience was like etc

For me - three track days so far. Two at Charlotte ROVAL and one at VIR. But more are coming, maybe in the next 4 weeks actually.
This pic is Sears Pointe track around 1990. Not the clearest but I still have that MR2.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts