MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize there is probably no exact answer for my question but here goes. I keep hearing if you let off the throttle while going fast through a turn you will lose the back end. Assuming I don't let off the throttle hhow fast can I go through a curve with a stock suspension 91 Turbo. For example if the safety speed is 40 mph can I take it at 60 mph? Is there a rule of thumb? :angel: I was never any good at physics so don't laugh.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There's no way to tell. Every car, road, and driver is different. This question is like asking "From how high can I jump and not get hurt?" You just have to go by experience and feel.

Do a track day if you want to really learn the limits of your car.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
theres alot more to the statement dont lift during a turn.... then not just lifting during a turn

when its not 1 am ill elaborate more on my ideas

·
Registered
229 Posts
*clears throat*

The issue of throttle/non throttle. Brake/non brake this that and the other thing is simple. Balance.

The car needs to remain balanced. Balance left to right, and back to front. Accelerating, gliding(No gas no brake no clutch), Decelerating, sawing at the wheel ect ect are all merely attempts to balance the car around its pivot point.

For all vehicles there is a "pivot point" FWD cars have it near the back, Muscle cars and the like have it upfront. This pivot point is used as a means to quantify a car's handling atributes. Its balance, its likelyhood to over or understeer and the like. Heres an example of these.

5.0 Mustang has a pivot point about 4 inches infront of the front bumper. Imagine how likely that pivot point is to produce oversteer.

Mini Cooper S has a pivot point right right behind the back seat. Imagine how likely that point is to induce understeer?

As he car shifts back and fourth. The weight transfer moves this pivot point back and fourth. As the car rolls left and right, the pivot point moves opposite this point.

·
Registered
651 Posts
first of all you need to be comfortable with your car, you will be able to better feel what the car is capable of. The only way to do this is practice.

Here is what will keep you on the road, I live by this:

If you can't see the complete corner and road ahead, don't speed through it.

If you don't know the road, learn it first (pavement type, potholes, etc.)

If there's not enough room for your car to completely spin around and still be on pavement, don't speed through it. (I don't take any corner too fast if
there is ANY possibility of hitting ANYTHING in a spin out)

If your back end starts slipping don't go for the natural reaction of brakes, stay on the gas.

I also think about my cars balance at all times, you must respect and fear this car.

I suggest taking your car to an empty parking lot to learn YOUR MR2's characteristics before ANY exertions on streets. For example, my latest MKII has a tendency to understeer, which to me is worse than oversteer... So If I had gone through a corner on the streets too fast before testing it's character, I may have ended up against a curb because I'm not use to understeer and controlling it. (although I learned to use the brakes quick, haha) suspension mods and tire/rim combos have great impact on how the car behaves.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
when you hit the wall.. you went too fast..

.. or you could just not drive like a jackass and actually go the speed limit and save the max cornering speed tests for the track ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
however if you happen to take a turn and you find that you have misjudged it or are going to fast or also just happen to be understeering. It is by far better to ease (notice i say ease not lift completely off) off the throttle and not steer to much more if at all. Under no circumstances are you to hit the brake. Progressive throttle for acceleration and decleration are your friend in the corner. Optimum circumstances are max brake before turn and then at the first 1/5th of the turn easing off the brake, then you will be about at the apex you will start to apply throttle and as you progressivly get out of the corner should be proportional to your throttle application. Its alot harder than it sounds and i refuse to type everything so this is just a vague discription of textbook turn. Track only please. We have all done this on the road but realize the risk and dont do it

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
when you hit the wall.. you went too fast..

.. or you could just not drive like a jackass and actually go the speed limit and save the max cornering speed tests for the track
Amen.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
hmm.. check out this site: http://www.wreckedexotics.com/mr2/
These would be an idication of what was too fast.

Cornering fast is more a product of the driver and not the car... Go find a closed track/autox and find where your limits are and stay within them. Each car/driver has different limits. Although, I can not advise you to do anything more than the stated speedlimit.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
<---finds this thread very scary...

So if someone tells you 40mph thru a 15mph hairpin is just at the limits of a stock 91t are you gonna go try it...? Somehow I get the idea that the orignal poster would have :eek:

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
It isnt always the cars limit....a lot depends on the driver. You may do it at 30 and Mario Andretti could do it at 60. Learn the limits on the track not on the streets.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
only with a flux capacitor....group buy anyone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
mikeswickednick said:
doesnt an mk1 go back in time after 87 mph?
thats a delorean and its 88. :smile: an MR2 after 88 mph folds space and time around it so that it seems that a normal trip that would take a long amount of time seem instant. Much more practical than going back in time and screwing things up. forget the flux capacitor.......gravity drive for group buy. Besides im not using the Frunk anyway and i could use it to balance my car out.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Those recommended speeds are so haphazardly put together it's ridiculous. Some 25 marked ones you can go 45-50 around and some 35 marked ones you can barely do 45 around. The only way to know "how fast is too fast" is to go to local autox events and really push your car.

I remember reading that the yellow "recommendation signs" aren't actually speed limits, but warnings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts