MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, big time newbie here. Ive been thinking to myself, if the engine and transmission are behind you, how is it that the shifter is way up there by the driver? Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
the tranny is actually at the front of the car... the mr2 uses a complex network of driveshafts and axles to transfer motor output from the rear of the car to the front mounted transmission... the output is then redirected back to the rear wheels via 3 sets of axles. id post pics but theyre on my other comp... hope this helps

·
Registered
185 Posts
the tranny is actually at the front of the car... the mr2 uses a complex network of driveshafts and axles to transfer motor output from the rear of the car to the front mounted transmission... the output is then redirected back to the rear wheels via 3 sets of axles. id post pics but theyre on my other comp... hope this helps
What he said~

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The cables aren't really that much further away from the transmission than they are on FWD. Just imagine taking the shifter, cables, and transmission as one unit and flipping it around the car. The shifter would be the pivot point, and everything is relatively the same distance away.

If you take an Acura Legend and drive it reallly fast in reverse, it's suddenly an NSX :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
KAMAKAZE said:
lol this is hilarious, but seriously just cables. front wheel drive in the back

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
^ ok man, if your not gonna post anything useful then dont post at all... this guys asking a serious question

:thumbup

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
KAMAKAZE said:
^ ok man, if your not gonna post anything useful then dont post at all... this guys asking a serious question
:thumbup
I think he only said that because his question has pretty much been answered. And I also found this thread very interesting heh. So the tranny is under the little hump in the middle? Or is it back by the engine? I thought trannies on FWD cars are attached to the engine like on FR cars, but its all just sideway in the engine bay. Anyone?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Po' Kid said:
I think he only said that because his question has pretty much been answered. And I also found this thread very interesting heh. So the tranny is under the little hump in the middle? Or is it back by the engine? I thought trannies on FWD cars are attached to the engine like on FR cars, but its all just sideway in the engine bay. Anyone?
I hope you are joking also....

The MR2 uses a transaxle just like any FWD drive car with the engine in the front. Motor and tranny in the back, axles come out both sides to each wheel.

It is no different than a FWD like a Corolla, Camry, ect.. except there is no steering involved with our drive wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts