MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my car is a 91 with power steering. from the day i bought the car, it has been dripping ps fluid once in a while. recently i guess the fluid is pretty much drained and the ps started acting weird. it feels like the ps turns on and off... so i just unplugged the 2 harness' from the power steering ecu. with the power steering off, the car is idiculously hard to steer. from stop i have to pretty much use all my strengh forcing the wheel to turn. when the car is moving, it is still hard, but manageble. im just wondering if that is how a turned off power steering car should be. and also how much better/worse is manual steering. i have driven a lot of cars, but i guess all of them had ps so i have no idea what its like to have no ps. thanks in advance.
-barry

·
Registered
821 Posts
with the P/S system connected to your rack, and the car turned off, it is slightly difficult to turn the wheel, not impossible, but very hard. it's normal with the car turned off.

Going from a manual 2 to a P/S 2, I can't say I miss it, but it never bothered me much either. My wife couldn't stand it though (not enough upper body strength :d)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Manual steering is much lighter than a broken power steering. Remember with a broken powersteering you have to turn all those gears and motors on top of the wheels.

My car has manual steering and it is a little hard to turn when you are stopped(not that you should turn the wheels stopped anyway unless you like flat spots), but once it is moving AT ALL it's easy. I actually had someone jump in the car and say "oh powersteering". The Elise has super light manual steering. you really can't tell that it's not power except for the good feel of the road.

I actually prefer manual steering. I think it gives you better feel for the road and how much grip you are loading up on your front tires. I've always though ps made the car feel very unconnected.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your help guys. the problem was actually the tires. i knew they were not inflated to spec, but i didnt think too much of it. turning felt like something was pulling the steerig wheel the other way. with properly inflated tires, the unplugged power steering was very drivable. once again, thanks!
-barry

·
270whp on a CT26...
3,458 Posts
Shinomori said:
Manual steering is much lighter than a broken power steering. Remember with a broken powersteering you have to turn all those gears and motors on top of the wheels.
there are no gears or motors on a power steering equipped MR2. our p/s systems function exactly the same as others, using fluid pressure to provide assist. when the pump isn't going, there isn't any fluid pressure, so you don't get assist.

it's only harder because of the ratio of the rack.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
fawker said:
there are no gears or motors on a power steering equipped MR2. our p/s systems function exactly the same as others, using fluid pressure to provide assist. when the pump isn't going, there isn't any fluid pressure, so you don't get assist.

it's only harder because of the ratio of the rack.

-Mike
Uhh...not correct.

Disabled P/S does indeed require greater driver effort/input thant manual steering. P/S is a fluid power system, relying on a pump top move the fluid through the system. Even if the pump is disabled, the fluid must still move as the rack moves. Additinal manual effort is required to move the fluid, and the now-passive fluid significantly damps the steering "feel".

And on the MR2 EHPS system, there is indeed a DC motor that drives the pump.

bill

·
270whp on a CT26...
3,458 Posts
yes, i know that it will take some effort to move the fluid, and that there are teeth on the end of the steering shaft that mesh with the rack, with the piston mounted on it, with fluid on both sides. also that the pump is an electric motor on our cars and not belt driven. i believe an earlier poster thought there were electric motors that directly assist steering, similar to the RX8, for example.

i think the biggest part of him feeling like he's not able to turn the wheel easily is the lack of assist, and not the added drag of the fluid. since he's talking about difficulty turning and not as much steering feel. if he complained of a loss of steering feel at moderate speeds, yes, i would agree completely.

in my previous post i was mostly trying to explain that there aren't extra "gears and motors" attached to the steering system. :)

-Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ic... just to clearify, i could not turn the steering wheel unless i put all my strength into it. this is with the powersteering unplugged. when the ps was still working (deflated tires as well, although prob not as much) i could turn the wheel with little effort.
also im just wondering about the pressure caused by the ps fluid. what if the fluid is pretty much drained? is this bad for my car? or does it just relieve some steering pressure?
-barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts