MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ya how do they sound? i kinda dont wanna spend money on buying new subs (i have 2 pheonix gold rd12's and theyd be too big (mounting depth)

so ya how do they sound in the front? would i have room for 2 and my amp?

this is my amp

http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-AP1200-...ryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i could mount the amp in the trunk if i must

but uhh ya could u fit 2 12s in the frunk and keep the spare tire?

·
Registered
672 Posts
they sound awesome!!!!!!!! its the airspace of the frunk that make it so soooo good.

i have a mkII with a 12" sony explod up front in a tube, and it rocks. but, you have to cut your firewall to port it, on the passenger side. if you do not want to hack your car up, do not run your sub in the frunk.

im pushing about 600watts peak to my sub, and you would not believe how it sounds. and the speaker and tube weigh in about 12 pounds.

of course, i have no spare tire or jack

·
Registered
287 Posts
blkplge: How much of a firewall did u have to cut? and does it sound good outside or inside the car?

do u have any pics?
thanks.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It takes some serious cutting to put subs in the front and properly vent them into the interior. Even when done correctly, it will never equal the bass quality of even a cheap sub in a hatchback.
In other words, unless your MR2 is purpose built (for example a stereo shop display / competition car) I would never hack the car up like that. On the same lines, if your car is nice enough to put 2 good subs in, it is way to nice to hack...sort of a catch 22.
Simply make do with a good 8" (or 2 if you are short) in an MKI. With an MKII, you can comfortably run two 8's, or custom build two 10" boxes. If you bought the car for bass, you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya id rather have 10s since theyll be easier, and 12 will prbly kill me but ya i already have em, and have had em for like 4 months. i dont really wanna buy new ones unless i have to

im sure i can fit em though, all i need is a 15x18x7.5 box and ill have enough for the recomended enclosure size

ill still be able to slide the seats back all the way, i just wont be able to recline them all the way, but ill never have to recline it all the way. Im not gonna be going in long trips in the car, nor would anyone sleep in an mr2 anyways, its too cool of a car to sleep in :D lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
i have a 12 in the frunk of an mk1. it is great! i cut the firewall kind of in the center. it is a hole about 4" by 3" not huge not tiny but very effective. if i had a choice i would do it again in a heartbeat. plus the black plastic fuse cover thingy hides hole anyway :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
o man its great but dont think your gonna get two 12'' subs and your amp best place to put your amp is behind the driver seat so you can ajust when the trunk is closed

·
Registered
672 Posts
sorry for the delay, i dont come in here very often, but to answer some questions and whatnot

blkplge: How much of a firewall did u have to cut? and does it sound good outside or inside the car?

do u have any pics?
thanks........................
-------------------------------------------------------------------------the port hole is about 7 inches long/wide and about 4-5 wide/tall. i would take pictures, but my cut/hack job isnt exactly all that beautiful. its in a oval shape. this being so, for strength. if you cut square corners, it tends to make everything weaker. not that a hole somewhere it doesnt belong, weaken the structure, but a rounded edge is stronger than a square edge, body flex/ripping.
the sound is an internal thing, and from behind the car. in other words, in the car,it sounds freaking awesome. outside the car is more of a "you hear me leaving, not coming" the bass is directed to the rear of the car.
my set-up is tuned with the t-tops in place.
the set-up in the frunk has the advantage of the small airspace. a sub in a tube, in the frunk, is basically like a bandpass box setup. the tube is ported firing against the drivers side of the car. i tried the tube port firing on the passenger side, but the sound waves suffer with the frunk port on the same side.

when i first started this set-up, i started with a small port in the firewall and gradually went larger until the speakers "knocked" if you dont know what this, im sorry, and it kinda hard to explain. but to generalize it, when everything is tuned properly, the speaker/sub, will make a "knock" sound when the tuned bass frequency is obtained. its not a sound youll hear outside the car, its just kinda hard to explain.........sorry

hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------It takes some serious cutting to put subs in the front and properly vent them into the interior. Even when done correctly, it will never equal the bass quality of even a cheap sub in a hatchback.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
actually, when i sold this set-up from my 91 n/a to a guy in a honda accord, 4-door, it actually hit harder in the mr2 than the accord. this without adjusting a single thing. straight from my car into his. i removed and installed it so i know that nothing went wrong. (amp,sub,headunit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the biggest advantage to a frunk sub set-up is, you lose no interior space.

the 2 disadvantages are: 1) no spare tire!!!!!!!!!
2) if your box is too heavy, 80 mph, hit the brakes really hard, guess what?!? rear wheels come off the ground!!!!!!
happened to me twice when i had a 12" bandpass box in the front of my 85.
when it happened the third time, it came out that day. ever since then, its been my tube and a 12" sub. weighs next to nothing.

watch the weight, it will affect everything performance wise.

im done now
sorry for taking so long

·
Registered
427 Posts
Answer for the spare tire. I just let all the air out of my spare and put it in the trunk along with an air pump that plugs into the cig. lighter.

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
from a ex car audio competition judge point of view (not being biased as it's mine), frunk mounted subs do sound very good. IMO they help the front sound stage a lot, plus mine tend to still fill the rear of the cabin (well it is a tiny cabin).
with my simple set-up db comps where good for a while with 147db, until all the hatch back guys caught up.

2) if your box is too heavy, 80 mph, hit the brakes really hard, guess what?!? rear wheels come off the ground!!!!!!
happened to me twice when i had a 12" bandpass box in the front of my 85.
when it happened the third time, it came out that day. ever since then, its been my tube and a 12" sub. weighs next to nothing.
your joking right? if anything the funk subs have helped my handleing etc.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Hmm, I have a 10" behind the pass now, and I really want to get my two 10" boston's in the frunk... but all this firewall stuff scares me, and the local stereo shop wants $800 to glass a box!

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
pff.. make it yourself useing MDF at a fraction of the cost. IMO fibreglass boxes need to be prity thick to sound as good as a MDF box. guess what, when it's thick it's just as heavy. ;)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My subs up front are in a full fiberglass enclosure and do wiegh a ton. I dont think its effected my handling negativly and it doesnt add any noticable understear. It helps alot in snow, or bad traction because there is actually wieght on the front wheels, so instead of plowing ahead into something you actually turn, Brilliant! Ha

Mine only has a small vent right now but souinds great to me. Its also a real attention getter at car shows/meets. Everybody has seem prefabbed carpeted boxes of all shapes and size in the trunk of cavaliers etc. But most poeple have never seen anything close to this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts