MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-- does anyone know the best way to remove the coolant temp. sensor and what tools I would need to do so??

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Dumb question but shoudl you remove the coolant temp sesnsor in order to test it or shoudl you leave it in to test it?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do you need a special 19mm deep socket because mine is not deep enough. Also - it looks like you can get it off without remiving the coolant neck if the sicket could jsut get over the sensor properly. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I just bought the socket (don't remember the size) and removed it. You certainly don't have to remove the water neck.
I just used a regular deep socket, are you sure it's not larger than 19mm?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do you need to plug the hole up or is coolant going to spill everywhere?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are we talking about the ECTS, the sensor that's for the ECU? If so, I just used a crescent standard wrench to remove it. Didn't have to remove anything else and didn't spill any coolant either.

If it's for the one for the temp gauge, I have no idea, haven't removed that one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
This is the coolant temp sesnor located in the coolant neck - there is no way to use a wrench to take it off without removing the neck - the 19mm deep socket should work I think.

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
mscdman said:
This is the coolant temp sesnor located in the coolant neck - there is no way to use a wrench to take it off without removing the neck - the 19mm deep socket should work I think.
is the sensor green, grey/black or does it have a spade connection on it?

don't have to 100% remove the water neck but i do to avoud breaking other thinks ;)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
mscdman said:
Dumb question but shoudl you remove the coolant temp sesnsor in order to test it or shoudl you leave it in to test it?
It doesn't matter. It will read the same either way. You are just reading the resistence across the terminals.

BTW, I didn't have to take off the coolant neck to get the sensor out. I just took a normal wrench to it...

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
There are at least 3 coolant temp sensors:
1. One for the dash gauge
2. One for the ECU
3. One in the front to turn the rad fans on/off

Are we all talking about the same one ;)

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Triad.: said:
It doesn't matter. It will read the same either way. You are just reading the resistence across the terminals.

But you need to know the temperature to determine if the resistance is correct.

bill

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
There are at least 3 coolant temp sensors:
1. One for the dash gauge
2. One for the ECU
3. One in the front to turn the rad fans on/off

Are we all talking about the same one ;)
don't forget the CSI switch -- is also a temp sender ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, we couldn't do it with a wrench, but either way the sensors were checked and fine and it now appears to be an ignition problem b/c we checked for spark a couple days ago on one plug and although it appeared there was spark then, now there is none. So we're going from there now : )

Thanks again for the help!!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Just for anyone finding this thread on a search, if you want to remove/install the coolant temp SENDER (the one that sends the temp to the gauge, located a little bit to the left {drivers} side of the head) you need a 17mm "deep" socket. I just finished replacing mine and that's the only tool you can use to get it on/off unless you want to take forever with a crecent wrench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts