MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my h4 HID on my car for a while (although i havent driven my car much, do to it being the colder winter months). anyhow, i pull out my baby whenever i can (when its nice out), and have noticed that my fog lights with osram all season bulbs are just not bright enough... i like alot of light :p. what makes the is300 fog lights light up sol golden yellow & appear bright? would it be overkill if i went with the h3 hid kit later down the road?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The fogs themselvse are projectors which overall project more light on the ground. And I believe they are coated yellow inside. Which gives it a much yellow appearance then a conventional Yellow h3 bulb.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Like Variance said, the IS300 fogs have a yellow glass covering on the inside, just as the 90-92 J-spec and E-spec fogs for the MR2 have.

-Nathan

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok the projector thing makes sense for the fog lights seeming brighter. but according to greddysetgo (i think thats how you spell), his jdm fog lights with the yellow insert still emits a yellowish-whitish tint... so do the is300's come with yellow bulbs in conjucntion with their yellow lensed projector fog lights to produce that deem yellow/golden light?

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
The IS300 uses a clear halogen bulb, but the housing has a yellow projector built into it. The JDM fogs that I have, have a yellow insert over it, similar to the GS300. The yellow insert makes the light yellow, but it doesn't have a sharp cutoff beam pattern like the projector does.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
^ true, but no ones confirmed an H3 retrofit HID bulb fits in our stock fogs. Our fogs have a little capsule where the light goes in, the HID bulb is really long, not sure it would fit in there.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Why don't you just use IS300 foglights? Not sure how good it would look, but the OEM foglights for the MR2 do not perform as well and, in my opinion, are oudated.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GReddySetGO said:
^ true, but no ones confirmed an H3 retrofit HID bulb fits in our stock fogs. Our fogs have a little capsule where the light goes in, the HID bulb is really long, not sure it would fit in there.
i've found some h3c's that will fit our fog lights and they are fairly tiny.

techone.com sells their kits for a really low price... i think i might get it (i know i know, you get what you pay for... but some of the people that have bought those kits seem to be happy with them)

Pouya said:
Why don't you just use IS300 foglights? Not sure how good it would look, but the OEM foglights for the MR2 do not perform as well and, in my opinion, are oudated.
i thought about this... maybe retrofitting the fog light housing into our stock fog lghts? although i'm not sure how well that would work. i really dont want to do anything custom to the body and i have a spare set of "busted" fog lights.. so if ever find a pair of is300 fog lights (& i havent bought the hid kit yet) ill look into that. i also like the stock fog lights so i dont mind working with the stocker fog lights.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GReddySetGO, that looks nice... did you have the jdm fog lights with the yellow inserts in those pics? if so, did you have yellow h3's in addition to the yellow jdm fog lights? if not, what light bulbs are you using?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought the JDM fogs a while back but what sucks is know one could wire them up for them to function properly. I think you need some relay of some sort for them to be directional. Any clue anyone?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
for the directional fogs you do need a relay in order to make them move with your steering wheel, they pop up once in a while on e-bay but are kinda expensive

·
Registered
8,098 Posts

Yes, I have the JDM fogs with a yellow insert. As you can see in the pic above even with the lights off you can see the yellow inside. I'm just using a regular clear Sylvania H3 bulb you can pick up at Pep Boys.

Mine are not directional. I don't know anyone that has successfully done a directional foglight conversion. Just too many things involved.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
will the is300 foglights fit were the stock mr2 fog lights go? i was thinkin of puttin them on my 91 will it be a directbolt on? has anyone tried this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts