MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

how can I check a turbo?

581 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
:smile: Hello

Ok, so I have a ct20b a I *believe* to have at somepoint potentially starved of oil.

The question is, how can I check to see if the turbo is ok?
It's not on the car btw.
I have checked play in the wheel and it's tight. Hardly any movement at all, and free wheels happily. No scraping noises, nothing. Feels great in that respect.

What other aspects can I check without tooo much trouble?

I can't be bothered putting it on another engine and then having to swap it again!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Luke

#2 ·
It sounds like you have pretty much covered it. If it was starved and damaged, it should have excessive play, or dragging. There is really no way to tell how much coked oil is in the turbine seal, unless there is visible oil that has been coming from behind the turbine wheel.

#4 ·
Not without tooo much trouble. You may be able to pressurize the oil drain cavity and try to determine how much air escaped into the turbine and compressor cavities, but the results of that test would probably only add more confusion. Unless there was a massive amount of air escaping from the turbine seal and was noticeably different from a known good turbo, even that would not help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.