MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, only come up with people complaining about mpg... hehe. I'm doing pretty poorly, i think like 130 miles at the halfway mark! I'm used to like 260 miles a tank in my boosted eclipse!

So how big are our tanks?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ghettoraid said:
I've searched, only come up with people complaining about mpg... hehe. I'm doing pretty poorly, i think like 130 miles at the halfway mark! I'm used to like 260 miles a tank in my boosted eclipse!

So how big are our tanks?

Thanks in advance
I'm doing about the same.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
i have a 5sfe and i get jack crap compered to my friends 97 gsx eclipse and he drivs that thing hard all the time. kindive sucks, the gass millage that is.

·
Registered
401 Posts
our cars average 20 mpg city? I thought my car was messed up. lol. I was expecting 25. I drive a lot on highways since I commute to school, but mostly its stop and go rush hour type stuff.

How come when I fill her up with $20 I get 9.5 gallons and the needle is around full? You're saying that I can put approx 5 more gallons in? I dont want to pay and find out that I overpaid for gas that I cant use.

P

·
0 Posts
if you overpay you can get your change from the gas station...you can give them 50 and if it takes 25 to fill it up, go back and get your other 25. IL cant be THAT crazy
tyler

·
Registered
811 Posts
-I used to get 26-27 mpg city driving for my 91 N/A, the needle would be on E and it would take up 10.8 gallons.

I get 24-25 city in my 93 turbo, and the same thing here, once the needle hits E, takes up 10.8 or so gallons.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I drive on E forever, like a good 60-70 miles before I go to the gas station, havn't ran out of gas yet and since I do it so much there is nothing straggling on the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine also generally takes about 10.8 when on E.
The most I've put in is 13.3 though, after being on E for quite a while, and apparently there was still another gallon hiding in there! <G>

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'll confirm, my car takes 10.5 gallons from top off till the Gas light comes on. meaning I could go another 60-100 miles after the light comes on if necessary.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mr2blackna said:
is it dangerous to run on low gas? cause you can run out of fuel and have missed combustion?
some fuel pumps are cooled by the gasoline, so running low means your pump gets "warm"

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
It isn't dangerous to the car! Yes the pump is cooled by the flow through, so as long as its pumping, is being cooled.

And your car is wired so as soon as the engine quits, for any reason, the FP shuts off. So if flow stops, the pump stops.

And the pump actuallys sits in a sump, so the suction port will still be submerged, as long as there is any fuel in the tank at all.

bill

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
mjfan said:
our cars average 20 mpg city? I thought my car was messed up. lol. I was expecting 25. I drive a lot on highways since I commute to school, but mostly its stop and go rush hour type stuff.

How come when I fill her up with $20 I get 9.5 gallons and the needle is around full? You're saying that I can put approx 5 more gallons in? I dont want to pay and find out that I overpaid for gas that I cant use.
no, it means that your tank wasn't completely empty when you filled up.

i believe mr2 turbos were rated at 21 city / 27 hwy. with mostly city driving (including short trips and rush hour), i get about 23 mpg in my 93T.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i get pretty good gas mileage, close to 40MPG, altho my motor is in a lighter chasis :) (MKI chassis with a 5S-FE in it) so im pretty happy, my last couple car's i was lucky to get 20, and i had to buy premium

·
Registered
583 Posts
I work for a shop and have seen many fuel pumps go out because someone decided not to get gas until the last minute and when they filled up, the car just wouldn't start. 99.5% of these are GM vehicles so I don't think that Toyota owners should really worry much. The one problem that I have seen (very rarely) with Toyota vehicles is that when the gas is "topped off", it floods the charcoal canister with fuel and it can't work properly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been breaking in my rebuilt 5S-FE
Rarely more than 3kRPM, Never full throttle, only light engine loads
Rolling on new tires on the OE 14" alloys
New ignition components, aftermaket wires, plugs, and intake
Also the engine has been ballanced with a lightweight flywheel, crankpulley.
I just got 27.8 mpg.
If I wasn't constantly changing gears (breaking in clutch too) and doing highway driving instead of stop and go (not supposed to maintain any RPM for more than 10 minutes to avoid harmonics messing up piston ring breakin) I think I could be getting much better.
...Of course once the engine is fully broken-in I'll be sucking down as much air and fuel as possible...I'm so tired of automatic transmission SUVs and Minivans leaving me in the dust at stoplights...

Edit:Back on topic, I added 11 gallons this morning and my gas light hadn't even come on yet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts