MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am seriously considering to buy a MR2.. It seems like all the MR2 has 100-130k miles. Anoher word, it is time for a total make-over...

After my research, it seems like Mr2 has lots of hoses, coolant, heater, vaccums, etc.

I am planning to replace them all when i am doing timing belt and the major svc.

Now, my questions is, do they sell a complete kit for all the hoses from Toyota? or any company that you recommend?

What is the estimated cost for labor? and for part?

Many thanks in advance.

-jjc.

Y

·
0 Posts
It gets pretty expensive. It really depends on which hoses you want to replace and if any hard piping needs to be replaced.

Toyota does not sell a "kit" per se. I could put one together I guess. If anyone is interested.

I personally hate these hoses. They have constantly failed on my car over and over.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you all for replies..

Yotaman: I am planning on a complete overhaul, so, i think i want to replace all the hoses.. with OEM or better quality. i am interesed in what you can come up with..

monkey nutz: How does Samco compares to OEM hoses?

thanks

-jjc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hoses... Still smarting from that project...

Go for something that looks better, lasts longer, and is much cheaper. Web sites never lie. Those lousy Toyota hoses only last 15 years and lots of people have problems when they get over 100,000 miles.. Exact fit is not all it cracked up to be either. You can't see what you are working on in the engine bay. So if it feels good, it must be close enough. And what's with all those those funky bends in the OEM hoses. What were those Toyota engineers smoking anyway. It's a lot cheaper to just bend a straight hose. One size fits all. Just keep the kinks out of sight. If the end sizes are different, wrap duct tape around the smaller fitting and cover it with the pretty hose..

If you whimp out and go OEM, Champion gives that 25% discount and they show up at your door step. They will cost you about what you'd pay for one new car payment. The "water tree" is almost as fun as replacing the hose from hell. Since you'll be jostling everything, replace the vacuum hoses while you are at it.

Whatever way you go, it helps to keep reminding yourself that breaking down in the boondocks will be less fun. Stay away from sharp opjects when you tackle this project.

I whimped and went OEM so now I'll have to replace everything again in 100,000 miles. Bummer...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Big Water Ralph said:
Go for something that looks better, lasts longer, and is much cheaper. Web sites never lie. Those lousy Toyota hoses only last 15 years and lots of people have problems when they get over 100,000 miles.. Exact fit is not all it cracked up to be either. You can't see what you are working on in the engine bay. So if it feels good, it must be close enough. And what's with all those those funky bends in the OEM hoses. What were those Toyota engineers smoking anyway. It's a lot cheaper to just bend a straight hose. One size fits all. Just keep the kinks out of sight. If the end sizes are different, wrap duct tape around the smaller fitting and cover it with the pretty hose..

If you whimp out and go OEM, Champion gives that 25% discount and they show up at your door step. They will cost you about what you'd pay for one new car payment. The "water tree" is almost as fun as replacing the hose from hell. Since you'll be jostling everything, replace the vacuum hoses while you are at it.

Whatever way you go, it helps to keep reminding yourself that breaking down in the boondocks will be less fun. Stay away from sharp opjects when you tackle this project.

I whimped and went OEM so now I'll have to replace everything again in 100,000 miles. Bummer...
Little bit of sarcasm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts