MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is this, and why the ominous name. i read that if i was doing any work on removing the stock downpipe that i should replace this. whats the deal? :evillaugh

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
Well, I'm sure alot of poeple will tell you to try the search function (there is probably 100 threads on how to replace them). But, here is your answer. If you have a turbo there are actually 2 "hoses from hell" (HFH). One is the oil feed line from the engine to the turbo and the other is the oil return line from the turbo to the engine. The reason for the name is this... they are very difficult to reach unless the engine is out of the car or the turbo is removed. Some have said they have replaced them without removing the turbo or removing the engine but, my hands and arms won't fit in to do this task. Thus is the reason people who do tasks such as DP replacement and turbo work/replacement replace these hoses then (while the getting to them is good). You don't want to have to go back and change the hoses after you have already done extensive work. HTH

Daniel

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
mr2boost said:
...If you have a turbo there are actually 2 "hoses from hell" (HFH). One is the oil feed line from the engine to the turbo and the other is the oil return line from the turbo to the engine. ...
Actually the HFH is a coolant hose. When it bursts, you will leak coolant on the pass side underneath the turbo/ex. mani area.
It's located in a very high heat area on the block below the ex. mani and has some heat insulation wrapped around it. It can become brittle and split/crack or burst over time. Yes, it's in a very difficult place to get to should it need replacing but with the turbo and manifold off, it's much easier to get to. Pulling the turbo and/or the exhaust mani is a PITA, thus the name.
Most just replace it anyways when easily accessible while doing other work seeing it's only about a $5.00 hose. The other hose is referred to as the "Hose from Hell on Earth (HFHOE)

You can read how to replace it and see pix of these hoses in this awesome write-up:

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/service/hfh/hfh.htm

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
Can't believe I got that backwards and forgot the coolant hose. Thanks Rojgonz. Working on these drive belts must have fried my brain.

Daniel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unfortunetly I know these hoses well, as my shop had about four customers come in needing that hose replaced. After the second one I found the best, and least PITA way of replacing it.

Most try to remove the HFH by itself, and to do so is very cramped. I found the key is removing the OIL COOLER. (component that oil filter attaches to.) This allows more side entry room to the hose. One end of the HFH is attached to it...one less thing to try and remove while on the engine. I highly recommend the toyota OEM part, because of the heatsheilding and the clips are held open for you, until the holding bracket is removed. Anyone else done it this way?

EDIT: DOH just read the instructions someone had posted...that's what I learned to do. Nice that someone wrote those instructions for everyone!

·
Registered
88 Posts
here is something which never ceases to puzzle me: my HFH let go on the GW Bridge in NY while I was repo'ing my 91 turbo. It only pissed coolent at low speeds + stops; when I got going again after filling up, it never leaked again until i slowed down or stopped at toll booths...thoughts?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Amallick said:
here is something which never ceases to puzzle me: my HFH let go on the GW Bridge in NY while I was repo'ing my 91 turbo. It only pissed coolent at low speeds + stops; when I got going again after filling up, it never leaked again until i slowed down or stopped at toll booths...thoughts?
Yeah! replace the hose from hell! :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts