MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last 2 days ive delveloped a HORRENDOUS! (as in i dont feel safe driving the car) clunk/who knows/feels like someone put a stick in my bike spokes/bottoming out feeling from the front left..

the right side sounds "clunky/looser/creaky"

any ideas before i climb under the car?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Sounds like it could be a broken/loose endlink or another possibility is your upper strut mount is broken or on it's way out. Could be as simple as a bolt in the suspension that worked itself loose.

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took the front wheels off, nothing looks outta place, and such..

took it out for a drive again, got it to do it 1 time, Its IMPOSSIBLE to reproduce on command...

·
Registered
238 Posts
When does this happen, as in when you are driving straight at highway speed or turning sharply at slow speed?

Mine does the same thing, but only when turning sharply at slow speed as into or out of a driveway or parking garage space. Then there is a creaking noise as I straighten the wheel. There were no other steering or handling problems.

The mechanic says he can't find anything wrong in the links or steering rack, but said my upper strut mount inserts are badly deteriorated and that may be causing the noise. It could be what you are experiencing.

Rex
91 na

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If it happens mostly while turning, it's the strut mounts. They seem to last about 5-6 years then go bad. If it's random times while driving straight, have the swaybar removed and all the mounting points checked. Tends to rip out, requiring replacement plates welded in. First however, check the wheel liner to make sure you don't have one of the screw/clip things pulled out. Makes a horrendous amount of noise when the wind catches it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
BlueMR2 said:
First however, check the wheel liner to make sure you don't have one of the screw/clip things pulled out. Makes a horrendous amount of noise when the wind catches it.

Yes. Yes it does. I was driving down the highway one day (couple of days after replacing my front bumper) and I gave it a little gas. Man I started hearing this crazy super loud sound. It was the liner rubbing against the tire. I thought my whole freaking axle and brake assembly had just started falling off. Ok, not really. But the noise was horrible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts