MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a recent article from Yahoo, though I can't find much more on it...

Hey, if Toyota won't do it, I'll entertain the idea that Honda may churn out a mid engine S2000. Hell, I'd even buy it if it's the only cost effective option. Congratulations to Toyota, for being one of the few auto makers NOT tempting us with a mid engine concept. Keep making your soulless stoves and refrigerators... Cough, cough, FR-S, cough...

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/honda-bringing-back-s2000-150031852.html;_ylt=AwrSyCSI23JTbDQAbQI2m4lQ

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Adjusted for inflation, that $59k is not so high. An MDX AWD costs $56K?

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
MSR for a 2009 S2000 was $34k. adjusted for inflation would be about $38.6k not $59. That's a whole different league honestly.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Adjusted for inflation the s2000 used to be a glorified Miata. This is a de-contented NSX. I will withhold judgment but it looks like it will quite a performer and be cheaper than an Alfa, a Lotus or a Boxster/Cayman. Sounds like it will be quite a value to those who have new car money to spend.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I read in Motortrend where they are trying to make three mid engine cars. The reintroduced NSX at the top, this car (or something similiar) to replace the S2000 and something along the lines of a S600 roadster. If the mid level S2000 replacement one is $59k thats a joke. Thats not exactly mid level sports car. Thats more Porsche Caymen S, BMW M3, MB AMG territory. Mid level exotic maybe.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I read in Motortrend where they are trying to make three mid engine cars. The reintroduced NSX at the top, this car (or something similiar) to replace the S2000 and something along the lines of a S600 roadster. If the mid level S2000 replacement one is $59k thats a joke. Thats not exactly mid level sports car. Thats more Porsche Caymen S, BMW M3, MB AMG territory. Mid level exotic maybe.
Your definition of mid-level "exotic" is pretty low end.
I would say mid level exotic is a 911, Z06 etc. There is nothing exotic about a Porsche Boxtser or a garden variety M3. I think that sports cars have out inflated inflation because they did not stay the same and the price increased due to inflation. Technology and safety have demanded that they add content and that comes at a price. This is on top of inflation.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Yeah I had meant to say low level not mid level "exotic". In any event my definition of mid level sports car is something around the "average" price of your new car. Which is 2012 was 30k.

For _____ and giggles I looked up average household income versus average car prices in 1950, 1980' and today. Seems to be average new car prices tend to be almost exactly half of average household income until recently.

In 1950 the average household income was $3200 and the average price of a new car was $1500
In 1980 it was 19,500 and 7,200
In 2010 that number jumps to 50k and 30k.

Should also note that during the 1980 was the wave of cheap Japanese cars so the figure is a lower but also when people started owning 2 cars per household instead of one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 2001 Honda S2000 was an awesome car, it drove like nothing else IVE driven.. except for my brothers NSX which is an absolute blast as well.

Im looking forward to seeing more about this new one, but not so much abut the price.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Oh man 2017 is going to be an awsome year for cars. rx7, s2000,nsx,supra all the old names are coming back. I can't wait now to hord money to be able to afford these things. Looks like I'll be jumping ship and getting a "honda". Sorry toyota died for me in their new model offerings.

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
I can't believe how impossible you guys are to please. 4 years ago on this board everyone was excited for the FRS. This is crazy.
Then it came out with a mere 200hp. I said from the very start, put a turbo on it and I LOVE the FRS, NA I am not a fan.

I still stand by that. While sure they are fun they are just too slow NA for me. I find myself getting dangerous on city streets in slow cars. Fast cars keep me safe, not kidding.

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
My issue with the FRS has always been the subaru engine. If Toyota put one of their new 2.0L turbo engines which will be in the Lexus 250, I would buy an FRS today.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your definition of mid-level "exotic" is pretty low end.
I would say mid level exotic is a 911, Z06 etc. There is nothing exotic about a Porsche Boxtser or a garden variety M3. I think that sports cars have out inflated inflation because they did not stay the same and the price increased due to inflation. Technology and safety have demanded that they add content and that comes at a price. This is on top of inflation.
"garden variety M3" said no one ever, except for you.

maybe the e36 domestic m3 was garden variety, they tuned it down a ton for the US market. But every M3/M4 after that has been nothing short of a triumph. There is nothing garden variety about a 400+ hp coupe made by one of the best sports-car makers in the world. Drive one someday, and you might change your mind.

btw, don't ever mention boxter in the same sentence as M3. I would compare an M car to a GTS car. M4 is about comparable to a 911 carerra GTS, which you claim is "mid level exotic"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts