MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a big page typed out but then my browser crashed and I lost it, so I'm going to make this short.

My 93 na auto is getting old now. My headgasket is blown, the car has 131,000 miles, and the car is slow even when it was functioning right.

I like my vehicle. I don't know how to wire most stuff or do most of my own work, so when I get stuff done, I have to pay for the labor. My remote start/alarm/stereo cost me near 1500 for the parts and installation.

I want to keep my vehicle, but the sluggishness is getting old. It feels like it's struggling it's little heart out to reach 60 mph, and I don't think that's the fault of the headgasket being bad, it's felt like this since I bought it.

So, paying for a shop to do the work, I'm looking at about a grand for a new headgasket, timing belt, water pump, a tune-up, and possibly a transmission fluid change.

It is this figure that brings me to wonder...

Is it possible to have a v6 swap done for around 3000 dollars?

I would want to stay automatic, as frankly, I'm too lazy to drive a manual on a day to day basis. I don't track my car, so it's not really necessary for me. I'm not even hell bent on a tiptronic style transmission.

I was reading threads about 1500 dollar swaps and obd compliant motors and all this crazy stuff. I'm not looking to race my car, or supercharge it down the road, or do head work, or even put on an aftermarket exhaust. I'm looking for an engine that I can have put in, hooked up, and drive away on with OEM power and reliability.

My main goal is to replace my beat down 5sfe engine and automatic transmission with a v6 engine and automatic transmission.

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but it seems everyone's going to tell me that I want to go with a 1zz4ame engine, swap to the 6 speed ferrari transmission and use 4 turbos because it's the best option.

So, what do you guys think. Including labor, is it possible to have a functioning v6 swap for around 3000 dollars... out the door?

Thanks
-dan

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
not only you can't drive a stick but can't do your own work? shesh :rolleyes:
JK JK

it's should be actualy much cheaper/easier to have a auto v6 to work. but you'll have to work out w/ the axles if you want the v6 auto tranny, you'd most likely need turbo hubs/axles. then the rest you'll have to deal w/ are

Fuel pump/fpr
coolant line (pass side needs to be bent abit)
passenger mount
exhaust system
and the wiring

I'd suggest you look for a pre 97 since you can get away w/ the stock egr system.

BUUUT the problem would be your budget. 3k won't cut it since it would be a custom swap. Your letting the mech DO all the work and that will take alot of time since he wouldn't know anything about this swap. You'll need to do it yourself it you want to be on buget

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if I did the work myself, I'm sure the car would catch fire within a matter of minutes. It took me 15 hours to do a brake job over the summer... granted that included 13 hours of labor because of a stripped caliper bolt and some bad threading when attempting to reassemble.

I don't have the space, the time, the equipment, or frankly the patience to do this myself.

Oteck, Appoximately how much would I want to budget for the parts necessary, and then how much for labor from a knowledgable shop?

Thanks for your response, I'm hoping that things will work out somehow.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
give or take 5-7k, they charge alot by the hour. Unless you give them a layout on how you want it and a wiring diagram ready w/ all the routing then you'll save some. It still going to be expensive even if you find a dirty cheap engine

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i were to do that, give them a layout and a wiring diagram...

And also, if i were to perform some basic stuff prior to dropping the vehicle off (if possible)...

Would it be possible to make that number significantly closer to 3000?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Unless you have the BGB (repair guide) you could and it would be a fun learning exp. Im not a mechanic or an electric engineer myself but im doing all of it myself, minus the welding and fabs. What basic stuff are you going to do?

If your looking for a cheap way out i'd avoid the v6 and get some usdm turbo 3sgte. It would be cheaper to put in a usdm 3sgte since that is a bolt in. and some wiring issues

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But it's not possible to hook a usdm 3sgte to an auto tranny, is it? I really can't be dealing with installing clutches and pedals and shifters and shift linkages. Just too much money right now. Perhaps dave at mr2 warehouse would consider my job. Who knows.

I'd like the experience, but I have too much stuff going on in my life, and also nowhere to do the work. I live in an apartment with no garage... And I don't have access to anything more than a basic socket set.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
oops i forgot your on an auto. I'd suggest you save up abit more before you venture, I doubt dave could get get close to your budget... and while your waiting do more research on the v6. The info is all there but the real good ones are lost in the mk2 hybrid section :(

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would 4000 be an attainable budget? It's not an issue of having the cash, it's an issue of wanting to spend it... but for a reliable average milage motor with decent power, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also, does anybody else have any opinions on this topic? Think it's possible? Think I'm crazy for even wanting to do it so cheap? Ideas to stick closer to the budget? Any ideas on saving money or cutting costs?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Between research and fabrication/installation time, you're looking at a minimum of 75-125 hours. I generally run in the neighborhood of 160 hours for a swap. Multiply that number of hours times your local labor rate and you'll be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look Up rising sun engines on the web. Great service, sold me a low miler with ease. Bolted on with shipping for $1200.00. They sell JDM engines and I was REAL skeptical at first. I got everything they promised. Loved the service, shipping and LOVE My MR2.................... 93 N/A. Lot less than trying to salvage an older one that needs a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
so you're saying it takes you 20 days, working 8 hours a day, to do a v6 swap?

im just not seeing how it would take that long.. theres just not that much to do!

Well, first of all, I don't slop cars together. Proper engineering takes research, design, fitment and refinement. Especially when you expect it to be trouble free for years.

It took Mitch two solid weeks(100+ hours and then 5-6 weeks to sort out the details), and he had 90% of the parts pre-fabricated. I know Randy was well into a hundred hours on his car before it ever took its first breath.

Lets say, you are competent with a wrench and were just introduced to the V6 swap. How many hours will you have to research this topic? How many hours to locate all the parts? How many times in your car to go get misc parts? How many hours would you spend reading wiring diagrams? How many hours to custom fabricate headers/y-pipe and exhaust? If you're looking for OBD II, dropping the tank, etc. Just because you're not under the hood doesn't mean you can stop the clock on time spent.

I have done 3 cars now. Each has been different and presented its own unique challenges. I think most people who have completed the V6 swap would agree with me on the amount of time they have spent on their project.
-B

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Oteck said:
you can put the engine in 4 hours no problem then you run into the issues that you'd have to drop it again. like that damn water pipe on the passenger side :veryangry
i havent come accross this on my readings of the v6 swap (maybe i just missed it :dontknow: )... why does the pipe need to be modified? how difficult is this to do?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.