MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a an HKS EVC IV, but it is a pain to set. I was thinking of getting the twosrus MBC. Will this be any worse than the HKS unit, in terms of reliability and controlling the boost?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
uofm0587 said:
Right now I have a an HKS EVC IV, but it is a pain to set. I was thinking of getting the twosrus MBC. Will this be any worse than the HKS unit, in terms of reliability and controlling the boost?
Nothing will give you better booast control and reliability than a ball/spring MBC like the twosrus.

bill

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I have the EVCII and love it. It so easy to set, and love it way better than all the other MBC's Ive had.(disclaimer: Ive never owned a Twosrus MBC). I have 3 settings, the first two you adjust with a small screw on the back of the unit, those two took me about 5 minutes to get where I want. The third is an adjustable knob on the front so I can put it wherever I want within seconds. This EBC along with my 46mm wastegate holds boost rock steady without an ounce of creep or spike at 10-17psi that Ive tried so far. What makes the EVCIV such a PITA?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a pain, because you have to redline it in third or something like that to set it.(is this correct?) You just can't turn the knob and go, I think. How long does it take to put a MBC in? and will the twosrus unit fit with a TD06? Just looking for 15 psi, probably won't be goin higher than that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude,

I'm over here in the UK and will happily take the HKS off your hands...how much do you want for it inclusive of shipping...send me mail ?

Cheers
Adam :)

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
uofm0587 said:
Its a pain, because you have to redline it in third or something like that to set it.(is this correct?) You just can't turn the knob and go, I think. How long does it take to put a MBC in? and will the twosrus unit fit with a TD06? Just looking for 15 psi, probably won't be goin higher than that.
It shouldn't take more then 30 minutes ro install any MBC. Its just a valve that goes in the hose between the turbo and the actuator.

And any MBC should work with any turbo using a pneumatic actuator.

bill

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I haven't made a decision yet, but if i decide to go with a MBC ill let you know or put it in the for sale section.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
MBC is annoying during spring and fall depending on where you live when temp changes are frequent.

Here in NY I feel like I'm readjusting this thing everyday...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mr2bats said:
MBC is annoying during spring and fall depending on where you live when temp changes are frequent.

Here in NY I feel like I'm readjusting this thing everyday...
I dont really understand. Why is it so annoying?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
uofm0587 said:
I dont really understand. Why is it so annoying?
Because I drive see my boost has shifted, stop, open up, screw it one way or the other. Drive, check boost.

It's less convenient that being in the cabin with a knob. Esp... since I live in nyc area and there's often not a convenient area to adjust boost.

Hmm maybe I should plumb it into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
With a ball/spring MBC. spring tension controls boost. If you have 15 psi tension on the spring, it will open at 15 psi in January, and 15 psi in July.

The spring is unaffected by temperatures.

bill

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
billwot said:
With a ball/spring MBC. spring tension controls boost. If you have 15 psi tension on the spring, it will open at 15 psi in January, and 15 psi in July.

bill
That would leave me at a loss to explain boost changes I have experienced during altitude and temperature changes???

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
billwot said:
bill
The spring is? however there is a difference between 15psi @ 30 degree F and 15 psi at 60 degrees F.

And my boost has changed in diff temps, and all I do is move the spring, which happens to be a 2srus controller.....

so I'm confused then bill, seems oldster is too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts