MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for High flow cats that will still pass emisions. I have heard that a lot of the aftermarket companies have them available in Japan but i haven't really seen any here in the US except for the Random Tech cat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the company i used to work for sold catalytic converters from a company called 'vibrant'. they make a lot of aftermarket parts for cars, anyplace that sells import parts probably will carry that brand. i think they retail for around $100 and they come in sizes from 2"-3.5"(i think). i measured the size of my current cat an had someone weld flanges on the converter so it was the same size and bolted right up

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The 3'' carsound cat has passed for me the last 4 years. This cat is also daily driven. I had bad experiences with the Random Tech cat on my old integra.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
the2ndr said:
The 3'' carsound cat has passed for me the last 4 years. This cat is also daily driven. I had bad experiences with the Random Tech cat on my old integra.
What problems did you have? I'd always thought of them as the "Ferrari" of high flow cats.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
senna21 said:
What problems did you have? I'd always thought of them as the "Ferrari" of high flow cats.
For some reason it would run too rich tripping a cel. When I used the the oem honda cat it never had the problem. I did have a chipped ecu which it did run a lil more fuel but why would it not trip the oem cat? Honda's are desisned very well from the factory to flow unlike our Mr2's.

Having ODB2 doesnt help anything either.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
"High Flow" Cats are more of a gimmick than anything. The $50 dollar carsound/magnaflow cats outflow the $300 "high flow" cats and are better at reducing emissions too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
hmmm...wat is the different from a high flow cat to an regular cat...is it suppose to be stronger then the stock one?....like cleaning up the carbon smell.....Because rite now im running a gutted cat but people that drive behind meh can smell alot of the carbon that my car puts out....i just have a 2gen jdm motor wit gutted cat, trim ct26, zen blow valve, greddy sp exhaust....i always though that a high flow cat was just an shape as an cat but nothing inside of it.....i was planing to buy an high flow cat just in case a cop pulled meh over and said i have no cat....i live in cali...thanks

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
A high flow cat is a fully functional catalytic converter but it has a higher exhaust flow rate than a standard one. It doesn't create as much back pressure as a standard one would.

·
Registered
526 Posts
you could fail visual in california with an aftermarket cat
its illegal to install a different cat on a car in cali.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
/\/\/\/\/\ Not if the old one has sustained some type of damage or failed. If that occurs you are allowed to replace it with a monolith-type Federal EPA, California ARB and CARB approved cat located in the same location as the original you should be fine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I just passed my emissions and insepction with a tko that had a test-pipe with a magnaflow cat. This was the only cat I was running and it had no problems passing the sniffer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
senna21 said:
/\/\/\/\/\ Not if the old one has sustained some type of damage or failed. If that occurs you are allowed to replace it with a monolith-type Federal EPA, California ARB and CARB approved cat located in the same location as the original you should be fine.
yea but i heard there is no CARB approved cat yet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
uofm0587 said:
I just passed my emissions and insepction with a tko that had a test-pipe with a magnaflow cat. This was the only cat I was running and it had no problems passing the sniffer.
i had barely passed with the same setup. i still kept my car at 2000-2250 rpms while i was waiting in line for a good 10 mins and my car was shut off for about 5 mins before i went on the rollers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts