MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal:

The car is being stupid again. I HAVE SEARCHED. I'd like feedback other than regurgitated bs.

The only real mods I have are the greddy TD06 kit with a tial external wastegate and MBC, dp, and exhaust.

-----------

While idle, the EGT's are stupid high, like 1200.
While cruising, they have no problem reaching 1600.
If I get on it, they have no problem reaching past what my autometer EGT reads (1600). It goes to where 1750 would be.

Needless to say, that scares me as 1500 is the usual max the engine used to hit, and what others on here have mentioned.

Now I fear the worst, as the engine has a wonderful knocking/ticking to it now.

This started happening once the ext. wastegate was installed and I started using the MBC.

------------------------

Is this just me being incredibly lean? Or is there more I should look at?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and my alternator belt squeels like a bitch sometimes if that would have any effect...

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
CRiZO said:
oh, and my alternator belt squeels like a bitch sometimes if that would have any effect...
that doesn't have anything to do with it....you might want to check out another gauge, if you don't have ANY other mods besides turbo, boost controller and exhaust your car ~should~ run rich, not lean. it could just be the gauge giving a false reading. also, where is the sensor tapped??

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
one more thing...was this a NA that had the turbo motor swapped in it or is it a TURBO MR2?? cause if its a NA with a turbo swap there is a small chance it has the NA fuel pump and its not giving you enought fuel and its running lean...but i doubt that is the problem..i'd check the gauge.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was an NA thats been swapped.

It has the NA pump, and it always ran kinda lean, but not this hot, but it just recently started to do this, so I wouldn't think it to be the issue.

It does backfire like a bitch as of late as well...

I guess I'll throw in all of my fuel components and see what happens.

Gauges don't "get off" do they?? It is an autometer, but still it seems unlikely.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
yeah especially autometer EGT or PYROMETER gauges....they suck dude. get another gauge (a good one), and get a walbro or supra fuel pump.....

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
an egt gauge is a self aware system, i.e. a varying battery volage wouldnt have a direct affect of the output of the gauge. what color are your plugs? that is one way to know if the gauge is off. i have a vdo egt gauge and am happy with it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
if you don't have ANY other mods besides turbo, boost controller and exhaust your car ~should~ run rich, not lean.
That really depends on the boost he is running. A TD06 could easily max out the N/A pump and stock injectors if the boost was turned up high enough. I thought I was bold for running a ct-26 and the stock N/A pump for a few months.....

My recommendation would be to change the pump ASAP and keep the boost low enough so you don't max out the stock injectors. A trip to the dyno would probably be a good idea after you get your new pump so someone can tell you what a safe boost level for your car will be. Then again, perhaps some people with the TD-06 and the stock fuel system have some experience to share...

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Replaced your N/A pump ASAP, and for now bring the boost down. Also check your timing, that can cause high EGT's

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
g_man1968 said:
That really depends on the boost he is running. A TD06 could easily max out the N/A pump and stock injectors if the boost was turned up high enough. I thought I was bold for running a ct-26 and the stock N/A pump for a few months.....
but at idle his its like 1200F! my guess it the gauge is all out of wack! BUT i agree the N/A pump needs to go......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea I have/had the boost turned all the way down so I don't pre emptively kill the car.

maybe I'll have a good excuse to build the engine when I get the verdict of whats really goin on.

I have no clue why I didn't check the plugs... I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Nyquil.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Where is the EGT probe mounted?

I also know that Autometer says to not cut the wire that runs from the gauge to the probe or it could tamper with your readings. Is the wire still one piece?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I have the exact same problems with my car.
My Autometer pyrometer gauge say around 1500* while cruising on the highway, and gets above 1600* easily when boosting.

Mine is tapped in the exhaust manifold of cylinder 3. I have stock ECU, injectors, Wolfkatz Rail, Aeromotive FPR (42psi), and Walbro 255 HP pump.
The bottom part of my plugs are black (look rich fouled), while the top half of the ground strap looks white/grey.

Any ideas on the problem or what I should do?

-Scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hrmm... i might throw in a greddy gauge and see if it reads differently. Maybe its just the autometer.

If that doesn't work, then I'll do the fuel pump.

Then I'll do injectors.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
First three threads are black and everything else looks light brown. I see some metal particles. You said it is in the number three runner so the problem couldnt be its too close to the exhaust valve.

G

·
egt does not tell you AIR FUEL RATIO....Huh Bill Wot "bring it again if u please"

do some searches, you will find that i have proven and been backed by a few tuners "rickyb, johnreed, noshoes" by saying "egts cannot be used for reading air fuel correctally, or even remotely closely"

egts can be used to read air fuel ratio on 2 stroke motor cycles and stuff, not in our aplication

get a wideband and fuel pump

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did search. Most people just respond "oh, its lean, put in more fuel".

I liked to think it was more than that, thats why i made this thread.

I joined up a long time ago, and have few posts for a reason, because I search allllll the time and get answers that way.

What do EGT's tell me? The only search results I get on the internet are related to diesels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts