MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I got some koyto H4 conversion lenses already. They dont' have the "shield" that goes over thebulb. So I'm getting some HID's. So I need to get thsoe shield things? Or get soem h4 conversion lenses that have thsoe?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I don't htink I need those. MY hid kit should fit in. But with my oito's you'll actually see th hid bulb. Some h4 lenses I've seen have a "shield" type thing ovre them.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they are called "difusers" or something like that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Are you talking about the little sphereical thing that you see in the center of the housing which completley covers the bulb? If so thats the projector lense and you can get the complete H4 projector conversions on ebay, or from rallylights, or some other places.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have 2 sets of koito's which are supposed ot be good. So I'd rather not buy anothe rset of conversion lenses.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's a picture of a civic headliht. See how where the bulb is supposed to come out there's a "cover" Well my h4 lenses is just a hole where the bulb is in full view.

·
Pay for quality, not name
2,026 Posts
You will need the shield or you will have light scatter out the wazoo and blind oncoming traffic. True HID's have a shield installed for a specific light cutoff.

So therefor you need an old style bulb with a metal shield affixed to the bulb base (as shown in the ebay link above) to create the cutoff, or a housing such as pictured that creates the cutoff.

·
2,026 Posts
ek9max said:
And which H4 lenses have that shield?
H4 lenses are not specifically built to do it. As far as I know, there are none that fit the MR2 and have a cutoff shield. That the reason I dont have them.

You have to find someone that custom builds them. So far, I have found none.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And what if I get some true hid's? (which is the plan)

Here's another pic of a sealed beam conversion with teh shields. So hella's , cibie's etc... don't have this shield?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P.S that is a Raybrig.

MY koito's, if there wa sno buld, you could see right through.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
you need to buy headlight housings that have e-code lenses on them for somewhat of a cutoff for HID's... no matter wut, on a h4 housing, true hid's will scatter esp on those cheap diamond cut ebay headlights but Hella or Bosch makes housings with ecode lenses that project most of the light down to the ground BUT u will still get highbeamed by opposing drivers. I believe HELLA makes a true h4 projector housing for hid's but I dont know how that performs.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I know that my lenses have cutoff. They are high quality ones. But I just didn't know if Ineed that shield thingy. :)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I dont think those Sealed beams are Raybrig. I have Raybrig and they do not have that "shield thingy" and they also say Raybrig on the bottom portion of the lens.

·
Registered
310 Posts
don't know raybrig, but i've seen someone here has HID with a hella e-code and a casper shield to get a good cutoff, looks like you will need a casper shield if you wanna go with non-projector headlight..

·
2,026 Posts
kyo2000 said:
don't know raybrig, but i've seen someone here has HID with a hella e-code and a casper shield to get a good cutoff, looks like you will need a casper shield if you wanna go with non-projector headlight..
Agreed, he keeps saying they have a shield. I dont think there is one in that application. It has to be added to the housing or bulb.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts