MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
hey Im new to the forum, having bought my MR2 just under a year ago. Love the car (its pretty quick), but since its old (1985) i wanted to do an engine swap, but i dont know what kind of engines are compatible with my MKI.
i dont wanna sound stupid or anything, but id like to find an engine that i can put in - itd be awesome if i could find a SC engine to put it in.
I already plan o do some body work as well, but if i can find an engine to put in, ill be sure to keep the MR2, cuz i just love it!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well it depends if you want to ramain legal and somewhat stock or go balls out. If you want to remain legal, and stock, you can put in a new 4AGE or the Supercharge 4AGZE. However if you want to go a little balls out you can put a MKII 3sgte making your car a MK. 1.5. Or you can find a 4AGE small port or 4AGE blacktop or silvertop. Hopefully that helps. Apparently its easier to put in a 20 valve (blacktop or silvertop) than to put in a whole 4agze swap, however, depending where you live, your car wont be street legal if you put in the 20 valve.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
thanks kwikfox, yeah i think ill keep it "legal" - for now anyways - hahaha but im going to go with the 4AGZE SC since i want a little more humph! if u know what i mean :)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Kwikfox said:
Well it depends if you want to ramain legal and somewhat stock or go balls out. If you want to remain legal, and stock, you can put in a new 4AGE or the Supercharge 4AGZE. However if you want to go a little balls out you can put a MKII 3sgte making your car a MK. 1.5. Or you can find a 4AGE small port or 4AGE blacktop or silvertop. Hopefully that helps. Apparently its easier to put in a 20 valve (blacktop or silvertop) than to put in a whole 4agze swap, however, depending where you live, your car wont be street legal if you put in the 20 valve.
Just a question, why wouldnt it be legal?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Many States don't do visual inspections. A 4agze is your best option IMO, and I see that you agree. It is the easiest engine to upgrade out of the ones listed above as well. An upgraded pulley (NST, Cusco, Nevo, etc... will deliver impressive increases in power. As far as ease, a 20v swap is far more challenging than a 4agze swap. In an 87+ model the wiring pretty much plugs right into your existing body harness. In the earlier models the wiring is a little more complicated, although it is still far easier than wiring a 20v. That being said, you'll probably want a gze clip to ensure that you have all the parts needed. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, yeah im gonna need all the luck i can get. me and my buddy are gonna start on it hopefully during the summer while hes doing his own work on his 92 civic

i still like my car a lot better though

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello!

I'd also like to say 'hello' to everyone. I just joined. I have an 86 hardtop na.. it is beautiful and I love it. Had it a week before it started knocking, so swapped a small port into it. I am still learning a lot but I look forward to making some friends, and hopefully will see some of you at the meet this year!

My beautiful Sammi:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/BRANDO0o0O/panders86NA.jpg

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
your hair color; you must be affiliated with Brando0o0o0o0o0o0 hehe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts