MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at work I came across a old man with a lot of cars on his property. Making small talk I seen he had a Mr2 I told him I use to own one that I autocrossed. He turned to me and said you wanna own one agin I said nah not really as I already have a track car I’ve been building 01 330ci, but we started talking some more I started asking a few questions and ya I bought a mr2 for $200 she’s got some body damage but is all there I might need your guy’s expertise to get her going as she has been sitting for about 6years. Took me all day today just to clean all the crap off/out of it just so I can start working on it I’ll try and get some more pictures tomorrow for you guys.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Well, there IS the option of parting it out and having lots of money in profits...but if it's in pretty good condition, then go for it, clean her up and get her running again.

Where to start? Fluid draining and refilling. Battery. Fresh fuel. See if it'll start. And check the intake tract for any holes which a mouse or something couldve entered and made a nest.
But see if it'll start. Once running I'd do (again) what I did with my 91 that I got two years ago - start cleaning. Inside first, clean everything really good, replace things that need it (interior trim, speakers etc), and then go from there.

200 is awesome, I'd love to find one for under 5 to build a 200X challenge car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a battery to her last night just to see if I could get her to turn over but I’ve got nothing not even a click so I’m thinking a fuse or rely I seen a ground that’s just floating and a aftermarket switch/wires so I’ll have to see what that’s all about. Pretty sure it’s for a alarm wondering if he tied it to the ignition I’ll send pictures.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
HOLY DASH LIFT!

Honestly, it doesnt look terrible, minus the dash, some small things inside, and, of course, that driver's side body work
Look forward to see what you do with this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HOLY DASH LIFT!

Honestly, it doesnt look terrible, minus the dash, some small things inside, and, of course, that driver's side body work
Look forward to see what you do with this
Honestly I think think this is gonna be a catch and release. I really don’t have the time nor money for 2 track cars I just didn’t wanna see this car sit in that field forever just to end up in a junkyard.

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
Looks like the body panels are repairable to me, probably won't need to replace them. I know that my bodyman can do miracle restorations with ripped & torn steel. But the sub-frame here could be bent from that angle of impact. That's repairable too, but will raise the cost of ownership probably past what it can command on resale. Normally bent frames are taken care of by insurance, you don't want to know the cost of frame-straightening.

Would make a fine parts car though. That intact front bumper cover is worth gold these days.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
$200 bucks. Cannot lose no matter what you do with it. Overall probably repairable but may just be primed to be a donor. Have fun =D

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
I think Cody530 should be congradulated for saving this car even if it ends up as parts. Most us us wouldn't even consider as the work & money required is substaintail given the low model spec. Having said that the interior and engine bay look surprisenly clean and original. Hope you can make something out of it and have the space and willpower to continue.

jimb

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
41 Posts
Redding California.
@Cody530 , how far are you from Bob Pham? He could be a good source or customer of parts, depending on which direction you choose to go with this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
While at work I came across a old man with a lot of cars on his property. Making small talk I seen he had a Mr2 I told him I use to own one that I autocrossed. He turned to me and said you wanna own one agin I said nah not really as I already have a track car I’ve been building 01 330ci, but we started talking some more I started asking a few questions and ya I bought a mr2 for $200 she’s got some body damage but is all there I might need your guy’s expertise to get her going as she has been sitting for about 6years. Took me all day today just to clean all the crap off/out of it just so I can start working on it I’ll try and get some more pictures tomorrow for you guys.
View attachment 78585
Great Find . Much orig. stuff on that car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts