MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and just found this forum on the net. I'm 14 and I'm from Australia. In a few more years, I will be getting my first car and hopefully it will be a NA MR-2. Unfortunately, I will not be modifying the car straight up, as the insurance will only go up.

But anyway, what do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea, and any tips of what I should do when I (hopefully) get the beast that is the MR-2?

Thanks guys. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Welcome! Sure go for it, I bought my mkII NA when I was 17. However, I hope you're more mature than I was, and not be tempted to speed like a banshee and race. It has ugly repercussions. Trust me on that one. Oh and by no means is a NA a beast. It is actually rather slow, but it will still turn heads and handling is superb.

Oh and modifying does not make insurance rates go up. The only problem is, if your car gets totalled, you will lose all the money you put into your car, unless you pull all your aftermarket goodies out and put back the old. Insurance companies give you what your car is worthe in the market, without taking into account the modifications that you've made.

·
Registered
323 Posts
vtsuckah said:
Welcome! Sure go for it, I bought my mkII NA when I was 17. However, I hope you're more mature than I was, and not be tempted to speed like a banshee and race. It has ugly repercussions. Trust me on that one. Oh and by no means is a NA a beast. It is actually rather slow, but it will still turn heads and handling is superb.

Oh and modifying does not make insurance rates go up. The only problem is, if your car gets totalled, you will lose all the money you put into your car, unless you pull all your aftermarket goodies out and put back the old. Insurance companies give you what your car is worthe in the market, without taking into account the modifications that you've made.
I agree with everythng except... The n/a mr2 are 3sge in australia right? If so they are not as slow as you are saying, they are actually kinda pepy.

Any how there is nothing a little nitrous cant fix :evillaugh

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'd say you should read up on the handling of the car and such, also helps if you've at least driven other cars before, although its a totally diff exp it does help to sharpen your skills overall on driving so that then you can better adjust to the 2s specific handling characteristics.

Suggest you get a 93+ that will have a better suspension setup from factory than the older ones.... :s I have a 91 N/A and love it :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm personally glad that I didn't have my MR2 for a first car. It would have been way to tempting to get myself in trouble with it. Not only that, but it takes a little while to really get comfortable behind the wheel. As for a first car, it may not be a bad idea to get a 1st gen. I have yet to drive one myself, but everyone tells me the handling is really like driving a go-kart... nice and responsive. 1st gens are also significantly less money to get parts for, in case that's a concern.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'd say wait until you're a more experienced driver. I know that sounds lame and all, but personally I'm glad I didn't have my 2 until I was in my 20's...

Think of it like this: The odds of a person wrecking their first car is pretty high if I'm not mistaken... and it increases even more if it's a performance car.

Also, I only know of like...two people that have been driving for a significant period of time that have -never- had an accident.

Anyways, just speakin' from experience... I'm glad I didn't have an MR2 for my first car... because it would no longer be in existance.

And sure, you'll hear people who say "Bah, that's B.S. I've got XXX car for my first car, and blahblah"... then you ask A.) How long have you been driving, and B.) Do you still have the car

Anywho, I'm off my rant. Don't take it personal, I'm just tryin' to keep people from feeling super-bummed from getting an awesome car totaled in a more-likely-to-happen-than-not-to-happen accident.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Phant said:
I'd say wait until you're a more experienced driver. I know that sounds lame and all, but personally I'm glad I didn't have my 2 until I was in my 20's...

Think of it like this: The odds of a person wrecking their first car is pretty high if I'm not mistaken... and it increases even more if it's a performance car.

Also, I only know of like...two people that have been driving for a significant period of time that have -never- had an accident.

Anyways, just speakin' from experience... I'm glad I didn't have an MR2 for my first car... because it would no longer be in existance.

And sure, you'll hear people who say "Bah, that's B.S. I've got XXX car for my first car, and blahblah"... then you ask A.) How long have you been driving, and B.) Do you still have the car

Anywho, I'm off my rant. Don't take it personal, I'm just tryin' to keep people from feeling super-bummed from getting an awesome car totaled in a more-likely-to-happen-than-not-to-happen accident.
Well its true most first time drivers will have an accident or two. But to say that almost every first time driver will total, or have a MAJOR accident with their first car is a bit extreme, otherwise most of us wouldnt be here to tell the tale. I totally agree with what you say, just want to make sure people dont think the extreme opposite, just be careful overall, you should do fine.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
it depends if your mature or not. my cousin was showing off trying to do a burnout behind me to these two girls I was at a stop sign he thought I went because he was to busy looking at the girls and bam he hit me good thing I saw him coming and I steped on the gas there was no damage to his but my rear bumper got a scar.(talon) I have gone though two cars before I bought the mr2. I'd say if you did buy it, be a cautious driver learn slowly. but if you wanted to get more comfterbale to driving drive a FF for a year or two. I know they aren't as sporty but you will learn from driving them. mostly simple car control. besides a well tuned ff is as fast if not faster than a rwd car.(street tuned) other than that if you did get it much props to you. just be smart about things. Welcome to mr2oc

·
Registered
251 Posts
awesome man go for it, im 16 and the Beast called the MR2 is my first and maybe only car. nice to have some more "young blood". and as far as accidents go, none, but i did make the mistake of coming into a corner with a surface change, and slid onto a log n got stuck, but i learned, n then i was backing up and another log on the side of my friends street was in the road irresponsibly, and i messed up my rear a lil bit but you cant tell. i thnk the reason i havent had an accident, is that my father is a driving instructor with bmwcca and other track affiliated org's, and he has taught me before i sat behind the wheel about what can happen when your not careful. i say learn in another car and when you get your license, then use the 2, it worked for me n i still have my 2 and am lovin it. welcome to the OC :thumbup

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just Buy it, I'm 16 and have had the 2 for a year, driving the car is better than any other car I've driven, I compare it to my friends dad's porsche carrrera from the late 80's it is a great car, just don't go turbo at 16. mine is a 91 N/A, and no matter what car you get, if your immature you'll get into trouble with it. Besides a very nice n/a can go for like 3g's. Get a good set of rims and tires, and polish up the oxidized plastic, and the car will turn heads. I have kept my car basically stock, and another kid at my school went out and bought w new body kit and tamaha blue paintjob, people still say my crimson 2 looks better. I just think about it and laugh because he dropped like 2g's on his car nad it looks like crap. So keep it clean and drive responsibly. Peace

·
Registered
251 Posts
tru tru tru dont go turbo at 16, i have I,H,E, and those make my car quick enough to play with some v6's, and thats quick enough, but keep it nice, and people will tell u, i get told all the time ive never seen such a nice MR2, and i feel good about my stock bodied 2, for now, i have an air scoop on the way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts