MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a few months I can't get my mr2 to boost past 0,6 bar without the engine is going to stutter. Below 0,6 bar everything is fine.
Here is a small clip i made with a fotocamara where you can here it:

MOVIE

My first thougth was the ignition, so I replaced the following parts:

- New copper NGK spark plugs, 1 degree colder
- New rotor and distributor cap

This did not change anything, so next I replaced the ignition wires with a known good used set from somebody else. This worked for a week and then the problem came back.
Then I replaced the coil with a MSD one and checked the timing, the car feels better now, but still the same trouble above 0,6 bar boost.

Today I removed the EGR system, as the online BGB states that it could be the problem. But it did not go away.

Do you recognize what the problem could be from the sound of the video? What are the next steps I could take to find the problem. I really think it's some minor problem, but I can't seem to find it.

Someone on the Dutch board said it could be the TPS sensor, could it be that?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can't check the videos right now, but have you checked for any boost leaks?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that was what I thought the very first time the car did this. I checked all the connections of the turbo/IC tubing and could not find anything. After that I went back from the Celica st185 chargecooler to the stock IC, but the problem did not go away, only the boost pressure where it occured shifted from 0,8 bar to 0,6 bar (I have not installed a boost controller, only stock stuff there).
This was before I changed the ignition stuff.
The only thing that has not been replaced on the ignition is the wire from the coil to the distributor and the igniter.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
also checked the injector O-rings ;)

you might remember my 60 whp run in Goes ?
LOL thats whas because of that :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts