MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay wasap everyone..
my car has had this problem for a about a month now.

at freeway speeds(going straight) my car starts wobleing left to right until i let off the throtle or wen slowing down. my steering wheel is straight and car wobles as if the rear end is going to come out..

at first i thought it was bald tires.. so i changed that but still didnt help..

i also read that it could be ball joints or wheel bearings

have any of you had this problem.?

pls pls help me out..

thanx.
jason mendieta

·
Registered
435 Posts
alignment and then try tire balancing. Theres a little weight that you can change the position of it on the rim and it fixes that. However you need a machine to calibrate it. Hopefully you know someone that works at a tire place or mechanic place cuz its kind of expensive. My friend does it for free for me and it only takes about 2-3 minutes per wheel. But if you pay for it, it costs like 40 bucks a wheel and im sure you will sit in a waiting room for about 45 minutes or more. So dumb. If your tryin to save money, you might can solve the problem just getting the front two tires balanced.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually balancing is really ez and cheap.. i used to work at a shop n we had a computerized wheel balance machine.. but i will get it done.. thanx

ne one else.?

jason m

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
First make sure all your lug nuts are tight and torqued correctly, it sounds too easy but I've seen the problem many, many times. After that make sure your tires have the right air pressures all around. Third, look your tires over for unusual wear.

Next make sure your struts are in good condition, no excessive bounce or are so worn that they aren't doing any good.

If you're good on all those basics, then the next step is to jack up the car. You can do one end at a time or both ends together. With the car in the air, look for the following:

1) Grab each wheel with one hand on the top, and one on the bottom. Use a push/pull action to try to rock it. If you can move the wheel or feel free play, then it might be your ball joints. If you can feel the strut top move, then you need new upper strut mounts.

2) Grab each wheel with one hand in front and one hand in back Use a push/pull action to try to rock it. If the you can move the wheel or feel any free play (without the steering wheel moving) then you may need to replace your tie rod ends (inner, outer, or both - check each part for play).

3) If the wheel moved both up and down and front to back, then either it's probably all of the above, and/or your wheel bearings.

4) After all of that (and especially if you had to replace any parts) have the car's alignment checked and fixed if needed.

Personally, if you're not comfortable with working on your own car you might want to have a shop check it out after you think you know what's up. If they say something different, have them show you how they tested for that problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts