MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP with Power Window PROBS!

ok after investigating a bit more, here's the symptoms:

- Trying to move the passenger's window UP with the passenger's switch, nothin happens, no clickin noise...no current at all (it seems to me). Moving it DOWN with the same switch is not a prob, though.

-Trying to move the same window UP or DOWN with the driver's master switch, absolutely nothin happens.

- Finally, after jerkin the wiring harness a bit, connecting and disconnecting the switches and the relays, BOTH switches move the window up or down, for a lil bit..and then back to zero again!

I'm lost...please help :-(.

QUESTIONS

1) If the passenger's switch is bad for movin the window (its good for the door lock), does this also mean that the driver's switch wont be able to operate the passenger's window? and vice versa for the driver's switch.

2) The black relay on the driver's side..this is the "window control box", the red one is the "door lock control box". Is it possible for the black relay to be ok controlling the driver's window, but turn bad when it comes to controlling the passenger's window, assuming there's nothin wrong with either of the power switches?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Power window woes help

My car does the same thing on the passenger window. I believe that the switches are bad. Below is a link to help you diagnose the problem about 3/4 of the way down the page under the Bold heading of "Window Problem-Bad Switch"
If you read carefully it will tell you how to get the drivers side window up by shorting out the 2nd and 3rd pins and it tells you how to determine which these are. If the window goes up then the motor and gear are good and the switch is bad. I crossed the wrong wires and got it to go down also. You should be able to do the same thing for the passenger side, although no details are given in this write up, you will have to look up the wiring diagrams. I will post a link on the wiring diagrams and some other info, my computer is not cooperating right now.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairsp24.html

I believe what happens is the little plastic pieces or the springs inside the switch break, this is what I read from someone else.
The passenger switch combo (power window and door lock) are available new from Autozone for about $86.00 and about $226.00 for the drivers side (4 switches). They are made by I think Wells. I have not been able to locate the individual switches, as far as I know they only come altogether. Toyota sells the driver's side for around $286.00 or so. But do not buy any parts till you know what is wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is the wiring diagram link for the 1988, see page 10 and zoom in some, it is in the middle of the page. Get somebody to confirm this, but on the passenger switch, it looks to me if you short out the #4 (red) and #8 (blu) wires the passenger side window should go up. Also from the driver's side switch it looks like the red and blu again but this time red is I think #6, (can't tell for sure) and blu is #3. It looks like the blue wire is the power and the other wire completes the circuit, but again have somebody confirm this first before going ahead. There is also a door fuse in the circuit, but I do not know where it is located and that might be bad or have a loose connection.
http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catalog/1988AW11_complete_wiring_diagrams4.pdf
It looks like there are two circuits for the passenger side. So I believe that the answer to your first question is No. You should be able to operate the passenger window from the drivers side with a bad passenger side switch provided that the drivers side passenger window switch is not broken also.

On my car the passenger side window switch will operate the window down, but not up. I have to use the drivers side switch to get the window up. On the drivers side it goes down, but not up. I have to take the door panel off and short out the 2nd and 3rd pins to get the window up. Not much fun.

I am not sure what the correct answer is to question 2, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok for all of those peeps who have had or currently have similar probs, in my case, it was the passenger's switch...replaced it..and now everything works :)

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
All you need to do most likely is pull both switches apart and clean the contacts. It's a fairly straightfoward process - just keep pulling things apart until you see all of the metal contacts. You're going to find a lot of sludge in there. I just had this happen last week - passenge side switch would only go down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts