MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the good/bad news with these turbos when compared?
Is one better than the other or do they have areas where each has some ability to outperform the other?
I dont want take any chances reading turbo maps cause i am not sure i know exactly what i am doing when it comes to that area.
I am trying to figure out what setup i would be better off with upgrading to.
thanks,
dg

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also had this same question. after speaking with Jefferey at extremeboost we had come to the conclusion that the gt25r was a mis matched wheel combonation. the gt2871r or gt3071r would be the best choice for quick spoolup and still accomplish my power goal. I chose the gt3071R and had a custom manifold made up to mount it !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey ...thanks alot guys! gt25 is out of the pictue then.

Would you happen to have a tdo6 by any chance or somebody that does to be able to give me an idea of any slower spool up? or would i not even notice a difference?

on more quick q ...what does the SH mean when i see tdo6sh ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
dg_performance said:
on more quick q ...what does the SH mean when i see tdo6sh ?
means internal wastegate, L2 i believe was external code

there was also a heavy industries one made, which david from california had on his silver car, but he isnt on the board anymore i dont think

best of luck

david

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so SH means internal wastegate....haha ...that makes perfect sense???
why did they not call it a td06IW then? you are probably right though!!
SH has got to stand for something? oh well...

anybody out there with similar mods as me running a td06???
I am running the basics as of now:
jdm 3s swap w/lsd
stock turbo at 15-16psi
upgraded clutch
3" downpipe
3" exhaust
greddy ic w/spal fan
All 2.5" ic piping
K&N Air intake

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Look on ATS website for some dyno plots of td06. Might not be exact, but good variety. They also sell one of the best turbo kits out there. They might be able to quote you a price for the gt30 as well since they are working on kits for that and have tuned a few custom installs of them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, i will have to see if i can find some dyno results with similar mods.
i would still like some personal experience feedback if anyone out there wants to give me some opinions on their kit.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
there are A LOT of dynos on the baords and other forums as well as ats's site. just do a search and you'll have enough info to read for at least a few hours...

Yes, you will notice the slwoer spool. you'll see the tdo6 see full boost at 3800-4100. and since you're on stock fuel, don't expect to boost higher than 15-16psi without AT LEAST upping the fuel pressure to squeeze a lil more out, but more effectively, you'll need 550's to see 300+

like i said befor,e instead of asking countless questions already discussed (and trust me, the ats kit's have been discussed THOROUGHLY already), do a search first. or talk to ats themselves, they have great customer service.

I have a tdo6 (not installed yet, gotta wait til spring break). plan to run 14-15psi. hopefully it'll be around 80% duty cycle for the 440's and around 260-270whp.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am working right now(teaching) i have 3 minutes between classes :) its not enough time to do a good search! also, i really dont consider 4 questions as a countless amount? I am just defending myself here before somebody else jumps in saying the same thing about the search option...i am not picking on you so dont take it that way.
thanks for the info i do appreciate that!
dg

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
then you could always wait til you get done, cuase it's not like you'll get answers within 3 minutes either....

i also never said you asked countless questions...i was stating it so you don't do it.

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=114715&highlight=tdo6

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=71620&highlight=tdo6

o6 vs. o5 http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=137208&highlight=tdo6

dyno http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=70785&highlight=tdo6

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=32320&highlight=tdo6

^ took all of a minute or so to sift through to the good ones since there's so many.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i would go with the td07 that ats has. they are nice.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ not unless he plans to change out the fuel and have some more mods on top of that. tdo7 is slightly laggier but wouldn't effective make more power than a tdo6 with his mods, has the POTENTIAL to make much more power than a tdo6, however you need all the mods to get it there. on his current state of tune, a tdo6 is better suited for his apps...

he needs to figure out what his power goals are and which turbo to go with. think of it this way, 50trim t3/t4 is similar to a tdo6 as a t67 is as similar to a tdo7. that should give you an idea of which are capable of what.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
DG,
Mine has similar mods to what you wanna do.
td06
greddy i/c with spal fan
greddy exhaust
I am running 770cc injectors, arias pistons, a custom rail and have custom exhaust mani and tial wastegate though, and there lies the difference!

i noticed a slight increase in lag when i upgraded from my re-built ct-26 a year or so ago but the biggest difference, I have found is the wastegate.

i did a fair amount of research on the td06 before I bought one and found that the internal wastegate it comes with allows for a LOT of boost creep.

I'm sure there will be people that tell you their td06 didnt have the problem but my mechanic (who works on 3-4 3sgte's at a time) told me otherwise. He is also an authorized greddy dealer.

Here's what I did to avoid the problem of running higher than wanted boost through my engine. I had the custom exhaust mani built for about $800.00 CDN. I bought a Tial wastegate with a .8 spring that allows me to control boost properly.

Now the turbo will run smooth and boost creep is a problem of the past. If possible, I advise an aftermarket wastegate to accompany the td06 if you get one. They are GREAT turbo's and they leave you with plenty of room for additional mods if you choose to do top or bottom end work!!!

Good luck!

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ the greddy tdo6 is what experiences the creep. if he wants a new kit, he should just go get an ats kit which is already adpated for an external 38mm tial.

if he did get a greddy, the upgrade kit from ats is far more economical. cnc 1 piece adapter, 38mm gate, dumptube for under 6

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
That may be the case, however, some people like to keep their mods in the same family.

He asked for opinions on the td06 and I gave mine!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Boz i understand what you are talking about, but in my mind i would go with the td07 and fuel upgrades. i should have just told the man to get the atstd06, since imo it is the best for the buck for a upgraded turbo.

jeremy

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boz, the reason you found those links so fast is bacause you said before that you have read all of them already...:)! The reason for the rush on the info was because of an auction that was going on for a turbo kit and i was not going to make it home and have time to do extensive searching so therefore i depended on you guys to help me out in a jam.Anyway, i am not trying to get in an arguement here. Thanks for doing some searching for me...i will read all those links above and have you to thank for doing some diggin for me :).

yellow2, your comments are exactly what i am looking for. i wanted some first hand feedback about the good and the bad and you gave me both! Thank you!
So basically all i got to do is run external wastegate to eliminate the bad... Right!

Jeremy, you have a good point about going big for future mods but i dont think i will ever push past 400hp....but power is addictive and you never know? I might be saying i should have went td07 3 years from now!

Thanks to all of you for taking time to help me out.
I Appreciate That!!!

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
dg_performance said:
yellow2, your comments are exactly what i am looking for. i wanted some first hand feedback about the good and the bad and you gave me both! Thank you!
So basically all i got to do is run external wastegate to eliminate the bad... Right!
actually, the oil lines would be more of a pertinent upgrade than the wastegate if you ask me. There's a lot of things wrong with the greddy kit. it's really only worthwhile if you buy it at a good price. I bought mine with 3K miles for $900 (<- something like that would be a good deal).

If you want to change the bads about the turbo, change out the oil feed and drain with Justins/CRW setup. high quality SS braided. An SS 2.5->3in downpipe is also better than the mild steel 2.5->2.75in downpipe that greddy provides. And of course the wastegate. However if for the wastegate part, that's hit or miss, many people don't get creep but there are others that do. if you see that you're not creeping that don't worry about the external.

so outside the externale gate kit, you're looking at about 180 for the oil lines, and about 250 for brad bedell's downpipe or workspower dp, or 275 for ats's downpipe. each suited for whatever path of upgrades you plan to take.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Excellent point and by the way, i bought mine on....GASP......ebay, brand new kit for $1050.00....Maybe it fell off the back of a truck?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts