MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TD06 HP record holder
3,636 Posts
91turboP.O.S said:
I think its 36 and then 90 degrees im not too sure Andrew Mcgibbon knows he did my head studs!
That is correct if you have stock head bolts. We are talking about arp head studs.

Matt

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i torqued them down to 70 FT-lbs
which is about 91NM ( as far as i can remember )

never had any problem.

but torque them in steps.
for example .. first all to 20 NM , than to 50 NM .. and than to 90 NM
otherwise you might screw the gasket .

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Tighter isn't better. Just torque them to ARP's specs. Bolts are like springs, they can only get so tight before then stretch out and are ruined forever. ARP engineer's figure 65, then do 65, no more no less. Of course it is always better to use a bolt stretch gage when using ARP's, but a quality torque wrench does the trick also.

Brian

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Over stretching a bolt is worse then under torquing it. Thats why. 5ft/lbs is a decent amount, but if it works, more power to you. Moly lube right??? I sure hope so. Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
not sure if i used moly lube ... bolts came with a bag of lube from arp .. i used it on all bolts.

anyway ... i just didnt know how more torque they needed .. and didnt know over stretching whas a a bad thing , but it worked for the time i used it.

just a couple of months later i blew my engine ( oil pump failed ) so if would have worked for many miles ..... we will never know

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I've just done my 4th gen 3sgte with arp head studs and the slip of paper says 80ft lb with arp fastener lube

1 - 20 of 23 Posts