MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have two problems with my 1988 Supercharged MR2.

Problem 1:
The car stalls alot(sometimes it wont for weeks, and then do it like 3 times in one day) but only after it has been driven until its reached operating tempature. It always happenes when I go to accelerate, it will never die when idleing or while decelerating. To me it feels like all of a sudden there is no more fuel being dumped into the engine and the car will come to a stop and wont start up again for a few mins. But when it does start up again it will run like the day it was new and pur like a champ. So my question is, is what can cause the ECU to stop dumping fuel into the engine out of nowhere. If that is infact whats going on.

Problem 2:
New OEM Toyota Clutch was put in about a month ago. Everything went fine, new pressure plate, new disc, new T.O. Bearing. But now the car is making a weird sound when the cltuch pedal is released at idle, and the while moving. And while idleing if I let the clutch out the car will make that noise, and I can feel the car vibrating, but only when the clutch is released. It sounds like metal on on metal kinda. The same noise was there and got real loud before I put the new clutch in. But it only started again this week, and when the clutch is pressed the noise/vibration goes away. What can cause this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i dont have solutions but i have some input...

problem 1: i had this problem when the ground straps started to deteiorate really bad. check the one from the battery to the chassis and if there is one from the head to the chassis.

problem 2: i have the same problem only when sitting in neutral with clutch pedal up. im thinking some bolts are loose on the clutch plate/flywheel... but im not sure.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a new throw out bearing in, and im sure I put enough grease on the input shaft. Is there a way to add more without taking the tranny out, like threw the hole where fork that the T.O bearing is attached to? Its a long shot but I thought I would ask before I go threw the major task of taking my tranny out again.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
is there any chance you put the TO bearing in backwards...? that'll cause an annoying sounds when in idle off the clutch.....

check your cold start injector and the green coolant temp sensor.... they are on a system together, and one failing could cause the other to.....

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
cold start injector does just that..... it's connected to a coolant temp sensor and the injector stays open (which is why your rpm's are higher when the engine is cold, after it warms up they drop to the usual ~1,000) until the coolant temp sensor reaches a certain temperature.... it's the one on the end of the motor above the tranny (near #4) with the green connector..... the injector just sprays excess fuel while cold

·
Registered
284 Posts
i remember a fellow in bcmr2 had that problem too, with revs dropping and the car eventually just stalling out. check the msg board, his user name was mrguerra. ended up he had a bad idle switch, and it was a $500 part or something like that.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had the exact same problem, it ended up being my Air Intake Control Valve that was sticking and not responding properly , replaced it ...got raped by the dealer for over $500 and the engine now runs like a top

1 - 14 of 14 Posts