MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 MR2 MKI 4age 5spd ~ Idle stuck at 6-7 k RPM - thought my throttle was stuck when it happend, but it moves free and the butterfly is fully closed, and there are no leaks in the intake manifold.... WTF mate?!?!?.....

My turbo just went bad in my 240sx and is smoking very, very bad. I need to drive one of these cars to work... :mad:

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
are you sure? the throttle has to be open.....myabe the dust cap came off and got stuck in it.....If not try adsjusting the idle screw on the TB.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes im sure the throttle body is closed, this is what baffles me and my friends. idle screw is fully adjusted, both of them...

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold.... my ae92 first started to idle at like 4,000 and slowly went up when i had a vacuum leak (on initial startup of the smallport swap)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well, just ripped the intake manifold off in a little over 1 HR. gasket is good....

there are some small butterflys in the runners on the head with a vaccum actuator. is this the TVIS? will those cause high idle if always open??

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
No.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not untill it started with the high idle, unpluged - plugged, clocking. same thing, high...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check the large vacuum line that runs to the brake booster in the frunk. That line might be big enough to let in the required amount of air to idle that high. Best bet is to cap off the fitting on the manifold. Blown booster diaphragm?

Also, massive crankcase vent problem? The manifold connects to the valve cover via another large vacuum line. Once again disconnect the line and plug the intake manifold fitting. Don't block the fitting on the valve cover or you'll blow a crank seal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts