MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i really need some input. I have recently been driving at interstate speeds everyday for about 50 miles and have noticed about a quart of oil consumption a week. I have had all of my internal seals changed within the last year and a half and the turbo rebuilt twice in the last year by Turbochargers.com in Texas. I have noticed some oil in the intake near the throttlebody, and I dont have any visable external leaks. Also no smoke coming from exhaust at low or high speeds. Do yall think that my turbo seals have gone bad on the intake side or do you think it would be something else. I only notice the oil consumption at high speeds but I guess it could be at low speeds too but too slow to notice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
It is most likely a piston/ring/cylinder wall problem. Blow by from normal wear causes more oil consumption on turbocharged engines than it does on N/A. A good cylinder leakage test should show you the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i have a greddy catch can installed on it. I guess im just gonna have to shell out some more dough to find out where its coming from. If it does happen to be the turbo again, can u guys recommend someone other than turbochargers.com, dont think im going back to them since its been rebuilt twice already.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Koors said:
Yeah i have a greddy catch can installed on it. I guess im just gonna have to shell out some more dough to find out where its coming from. If it does happen to be the turbo again, can u guys recommend someone other than turbochargers.com, dont think im going back to them since its been rebuilt twice already.
Try removing the catch can. Run the large PCV hose from the valve cover to the turbo intake like it was originally. It costs virtually nothing to stick one end of a hose on the dipstick tube and put a balloon on the other. Drive the car and watch the balloon. If you see positive pulses, most likely you have a blow by issue.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've always had this issue on both cars I've owned. 89 Integra (NA of course) and my 91 Turbo. They were both high mileage (over 150,000 miles). Replacing the turbo didn't affect the oil useage at all. Although I don't see any smoke during constant driving, if I were to drive long distances at speed (the highway) for an extended period, then I'd be down a half a quart by the end of the day even though I'd never boosted.

I've just always assumed worn piston rings and blowby. I have yet to try this balloon trick, but I think I'm only loosing oil at a very slow rate over a whole day of highway driving that is contributing to the loss. I'm just saving for a new short block eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts