MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's this brown murky substance in the coolant on my 92 NA. I think oil is leaking into the coolant system. But how come my car doesn't overheat!!. Could i fix this problem or do i have to get a new motor??

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Have a compression test and leak-down done on your engine. If those come out good just flush and refill you cooling system. If there is a problem with your engine the the tests should make that known.

Old coolant will pick up rust and oxidation over time; changing it every 2-3 years is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
its possible someone put Bar's Stop Leak in it. ive seen that before...makes it look like you have major problems, when all you need is a coolant flush.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
erioshi said:
Have a compression test and leak-down done on your engine. If those come out good just flush and refill you cooling system. If there is a problem with your engine the the tests should make that known.

Old coolant will pick up rust and oxidation over time; changing it every 2-3 years is a good idea.

I think you mean water/condensation. Smell the coolant and see if it smells like oil. Odds are it's just rust from the radiator and coolant passages in the block. This is why you aren't overheating because you do not have a blown headgasket or anything to that sort. Just flush the system and everything will be good again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts