MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to pick up a car I can use for work and snow. I want something that has a lot of space that I can use for delivering/picking up boxes. And also for snowboarding. I was looking at vans/SUV's, but also some wagons would work if I could fold the back seats down or something. Needs to meet the following criteria

-OEM roof rack
-pref. AWD
-Wagon or Van for storage space, removable or foldable back seats

And obviously the more affordable the car, the better.

Some cars I was looking at were the Toyota Previa. That has everything I want, but its kinda hard to find a good one for a good price. And the AWD model makes it harder to find. Also I was thinking a WRX, but a newer on might be out of my budget. Do the older Impreza's come in a wagon?

Also, any good used car website recommendations? All I've looked at is Recycler and Auto Trader.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
subaru anything

impreza wagon
outback sport
forester
baja

they all can do the job. the new outbacks can be had for under $20k for the most base model. i was considering picking up a legacy gt but all the ones with stick were sold out.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you've got some money to play with, go with a 2004+ Forester XT. $17-20k for a nice one. Rides great, well built, ton of room, Impreza chassis, STi engine with slightly smaller turbo and IC. Faster than the WRX wagon from the factory - don't believe the hp rating. This little Suby is the 3rd fastest SUV in production and the two that beat it are a turbo Porsche and a supercharged Land Rover, both of which are ridiculously expensive. A friend of mine has one, it's wonderful.

If you need to go cheaper, go with a 1998+ Impreza wagon. Be sure to get it with the 2.5 motor and a stick - I owned a '95 sedan with the 2.2 auto and it was painfully slow. Great in the snow though; back at home if it was REALLY bad outside my dad would leave his Suburban and take my little Impreza ;) Another friend of mine up here at school has a '98 (they did a lot of upgrades that year) Impreza wagon with a stick and the 2.5 and it's great. Another good friend of mine has a '97 Legacy Outback wagon with the 2.5 and a stick and that is a great car - I slept in the back of it for 14 days in a row this summer on an epic roadtrip.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

You can get a nice WRX for around 6-12 k Check ebay for project cars,,, You might get something cheap..

I love my WRX I havent even sat in the 2 sence I picked it up. I even sold my rolla over it... And traded my 99 Eclipse in for it!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Well I love the Estima/Previa so I will be the first to vote that route. Supercharged, 4wd, 5speed all available. And the Scoobies can't touch the Previa as far as interior space is concerned. They are out there if you look hard enough. IIRC all 96's and 97's only came with the supercharged motor, but the SC was available since '94. Another thing is they can be had for a lot cheaper than the scoobie. Plus there is a ton of shiite for them in Japan because they are the top platform to go with for VIP style wagon stuff.

Get your bling on. Get parts delivered in style.

Here is one for sale, 96 all-trac:
http://cars.com/go/search/preview.j...ler&paId=180315676&recnum=16&leadExists=false

Another option is the 89-98 RWD Mazda MPV's. They had both 5speed (though only 89-91 and a bit rare) and 4 wheel drive (only on V6). they can be had for even cheaper than the Previa.

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
get an old model impreza wagon you won't be disappointed and you get awd which is great and a subaru really is indestructable. they make old outbacks, impreza's, and legacys that I would gladly drive myself although I have fondness for the bugeye wagons they look really good.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The old Impreza has more cargo capacity than the new WRX. The new WRX looks nice and all, but I think the cargo capacity is really small for a wagon. And you haven't driven your 2 since you got the WRX? I remember the first time I drove a WRX, I couldn't wait to get back behind the wheel of my 2 :)

The Previa/Estima was my number 1 choice. I've just been looking for a couple months and can never get my hands on a good one. That one you found looks like a good deal, might have to drive up to Nor Cal and check it out ;)

F

·
0 Posts
i had a 95 impreza

EASY as HELL to work on, and they run forever... and they can be found CHEAP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts