MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've got to weigh an option here. While tooling around a few weeks back in the middle of Grafton county I happened upon one of my least favorite towns, Newport, and took the shortcut to get out toward 89 again. While en-route, I passed by a garage that had a MK-I sitting out front. It looked to be in halfway decent condition, but then again, I didn't stop because my awesome reasoning skills kicked in. That has failed me twice on other issues over the last month, so I'm not too trusting of it anymore, which is why I beseech thee to answer my question for me.

The facts: I have three vehicles which all range from 50-85% running capacity. My Mk-II has a few shot rod bearings, and needs a new shortblock which will come from my tax refund. My RX-7 needs a little body work and some cleanups to be in running shape. My Honda has disabled itself via a clogged fuel filter and possibly injectors, we'll see what the shop has to say. So, that's three vehicles so far, I'm not sure I'm ready for a fourth, however, I do not think I can let this lonely piece of historical go-kartness go to waste or fall victim to a resident of the town that will treat it with less respect than it deserves. So... my question is, should I rescue this one, or would someone take it into a good home so as to make sure it will live an even longer happier life?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
All depends on the price and actual condition. If the price is nice and so is the car, I firmly believe you can never have too many cars (I had something like 5 at some point, only 1 of which ran).

If you can't save it, post up some info and maybe someone else here will pick it up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking of swinging down there later today, today being sunday, to see if it's still there, and what they're asking for it. Since I'm almost dead positive they have no idea what it's about, I can probably talk them down to a more than reasonable price, but if anyone is interested in a fixer-upper or parts car or whatever, I'll definately post information when I get it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red, I believe N/A, year indeterminate. I'll not be heading down there today, the roads up here went to snow. However, if it cleans up during the week, I'll take a spin down, snag some photos and information and post it up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally made it down there, and, well, disappointment set in quick. The PO had obviously not taken care of this vehicle. Rust was starting to set in everywhere, paint was oxidizing badly, and the engine was horribly dirty. There was noone at the shop, so the price is still indeterminate, but this is a definate haggling car. Luckily they left the doors unlocked and I was able to get an engine shot. However, everything was there, and the interior was in decent shape. 189K on the clock. Still had the original radio. As soon as I transfer my photos over, I'll post a link for anyone still interested. If you've got the time and like body work, or need a parts car, you're good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts